ruger,rem,savage, browning..velocity diffrence? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

ruger,rem,savage, browning..velocity diffrence?

might seem like a dumb question..but iv'e always wondered..take a cal say a 25-06 (or any cal)..same barrel length ,rate of twist, same exact load..does one rifle manufacturer consistantly produce higher velocity's .. in otherwards will rem often be higher..or ruger..or savage..ect..ect
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 04:23 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: ruger,rem,savage, browning..velocity diffrence?

If you are shooting the same load out of the same length barrel, maufacturer of the rifle should have no affect on velocity.

Free Madcatter!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 06:03 PM
Frequent Contributor

The answer to your question is yes. The barrels from different mfgs. will produe different velocities-all other things being equal(as you stated).

However you must keep in mind that no two barrels from the same mfg. are going to have the same velocity. Every barrel is an entity onto itself, and no others. So they must be treated that way.

Now to address your question about different mfrs. Different mfrs. build their barrels differently, and to different specifications.

Velocity is a function of energy or heat. And the amount of energy or heat does effect velocity. One of the problems with Savage(IMO) is they normally have rough barrels. This creates a couple of problems. First is excessive barrel heat(more friction). And second is a barrel that needs more frequent or more robust cleaning.

I always lap a Savage barrel to smooth the barrel out. Being smoother the bullet will be subject to less friction . Less friction is going to yield more velocity, and less heat. Both are good things.

Differnt mfrs. build their barrels to different specs. Heck even the same mfr. builds different barrels to better or lesser qualtiy. Just ask a shooter about a Remington 5R or a 40X barrel??

I like the Krieger barrels. They will consistently produce more velocity, and less heat. Just an overall better built barrel.

SO to answer your question. The answer is YES. Different mfrs. barrels will yield different velocites-all other things being equal. Tom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 06:11 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

As hogghead said they all vary. But for a given length they do not variy significantly and unless you have a chronograph, you will never notice it in trajectory or terminal performance.

the variation might be 100 fps in your 25-06, not significant. but don't be confused, the velocities in ammo manufacturer catalogs will almost always be higher, as they use barrels that are just on the high side. And you might have a 24 inch barrel and the manufacturer tested his in a 30 inch tube.

In your post you asked does one manufacturer "...consistantly produce higher velocity's". again as said before NO. A given Remington might have a higher velocity than a Savage or a Winchester. Then another Savage might have a higher velocity than another Reminton. There is no consistently higher velocity brand, with similiar ammo.

Accuracy also varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, as it does from model to model, and gun to gun.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 06:13 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

How many FPS are you talking between barrels, maybe 10 or 20 fps, not a real difference in a hunting situation. I don't see barrels changing the FPS by a big enough margin to make any kind of difference in a hunting situation.

I've got a custom .308 with a douglas barrel, and through a chronograph it shoots the same (give or take a couple fps) as my factory model 700. I've never noticed any kind of a real difference, say 100 fps or more, between different barrels.

Free Madcatter!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 06:21 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-PA
If you are shooting the same load out of the same length barrel, maufacturer of the rifle should have no affect on velocity.
Really?

A 'smith friend and I once both built 6.5-06s using the same 700 actions, same Hart 416 barrels, same finished length, same reamer and used the same components and lots in the ammo.( Brass, powder, etc), same chronograph on the same day. About as the same you can get.

His rifle consistently averaged 70-100 fps faster than mine using the same loadings. What was interesting, as the loading reached the upper end of the window the difference increased.

Should and do are two totally different things.

Bill

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 06:31 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If I were guessing a lot of that might be contributed to pressure behind the load. Not every bolt locks the same into an action either. If your gun had more gas escaping behind the bolt face it would lose velocity as the pressure would be lower.
There is a lot more to it than just the barrel on the gun. I also said in my other post, you don't normally see any difference above 100 fps, which really means nothing as far as performance in the field.

Free Madcatter!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 06:52 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-PA
If I were guessing a lot of that might be contributed to pressure behind the load. Not every bolt locks the same into an action either.
Well, see'n that I was the guy the did the action work, the truing and timing, I think I can say they were locking up just fine.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 07:02 PM
The Man

You shure your pal didn't make up a 6.5-06 AI, old boy? Old age can fog a feller's brain, you know....that's what I've heard anyhow....
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 08:39 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by winchesterbob
You shure your pal didn't make up a 6.5-06 AI, old boy?
Now that ya mention it, they may have been 6.5 Smiths on Carcano actions!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page