Shotgun Reloading Newbie - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Shotgun Reloading Newbie

I just got a press set up for reloading shot shells. I am looking to reload for trap shooting 1 oz. and for a 1 1/2 heavier load. I have decided to go with claybusters wads (they seem to be easy to find and decent quality), now for the rest, what would you guys recommend for shot (5 and 71/2) and powder? I saw one video that said hodgdon's longshot but I don't know anything about it. I'm basically looking for specific powder and shot to buy then figure out charges that suit my needs. Any recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017, 11:01 PM
The Man

I'd suggest you get the Lyman shotgun manual. There is a lot of info and reference material in the manual and there are many options for components to chose from.

My target loads are made up using Remington Gun Club hulls, the Claybuster clone for the ultralight AA wad, WW 209 primers and 17 to 18 grains of Red Dot or Promo powder. The powders are similar but Promo is cheaper. I shoot 7.5 and #8 shot depending on the game. This is a popular target load and a lot of guys use it.

To go to a heavy load of shot you are going to need a different wad and proably a different hull and powder. I'd check the manual and then decide what to buy.

Last edited by Dogface; 12-24-2017 at 11:04 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogface View Post
I'd suggest you get the Lyman shotgun manual. There is a lot of info and reference material in the manual and there are many options for components to chose from.

My target loads are made up using Remington Gun Club hulls, the Claybuster clone for the ultralight AA wad, WW 209 primers and 17 to 18 grains of Red Dot or Promo powder. The powders are similar but Promo is cheaper. I shoot 7.5 and #8 shot depending on the game. This is a popular target load and a lot of guys use it.

To go to a heavy load of shot you are going to need a different wad and proably a different hull and powder. I'd check the manual and then decide what to buy.
I looked at red and green dot powder. It was saying red was faster burning, green slower. Someone recommended red for lighter loads such as 7/8, 1, 1 1/8 oz. and green for 1 1/8 and 1 1/4 oz. Is this correct?

I am waiting for on my manual to come in the mail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 10:02 AM
The Man

I only used Green Dot for the 20 gage but have been using different powders lately. I know you can but I have never used it in the 12 gage. I'll look over the manual and see what they recommend.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 11:41 AM
The Man

I found some Green Dot loads listed for 1 1/8 and 1.25 ounce loads for use in older AA hulls. I did not find any for the Remington target hulls BUT most guys use these hulls interchangeably. The interior capacity and construction is almost identical.

FYI: The big name manuals and powder sites post loads they tested. Their testing is limited in many respects. There is no way they can test every component combination. For instance they'll test only Remington primers in Remington hulls and Winchester primers in Winchester hulls. If you do some research you can usually find loads that are compatible with the components you have.

BTW Check out the reloading section of Trapshooters.com and Shotgunworld.com.

Do you have a quantity of a particular hull? The best place to start is with the hull and build from there.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 01:31 PM

Another powder to look at for the trap load is Hodgdon International Clays. I've been using that powder for any low weight shot shell for 20 years. It is an incredibly clean burning powder, and gets things moving. I can't recall the weights, but the bushings are below. Makes a nice zippy shell that I compare to the STS or AA higher end shells... Just no where near as dirty.

1oz
31 MEC bushing
Claybuster WAA12SL clone

1-1/8oz
33 MEC bushing
Claybuster WAA12 clone

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 06:01 PM

You may want to check out using 7/8 oz of #8 shot for trap along with the associated powder, wad, primer and hull (Gun Clubs work great) recommendations. Them #8's will give a nice dense pattern and FWIW and unless you have a hankering for excessive recoil I would stay away from anything over 1 oz of shot for trap.

7/8 oz #8 shot
18 gr American Select
Gun Club hulls
Fiocchi 616 primer
Claybuster CB0178-12 wads

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Also what is a good price for shot?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 05:06 PM
The Man

Right now it is running between $36 and $42 a bag.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogface View Post
Right now it is running between $36 and $42 a bag.
Okay. I went to a reloading store and it was $49.99 for a 25lb bag. Thought that was a little steep but just wanted to verify since I have not seen it on a shelf anywhere else.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page