Gas checks for .45 ACP - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By superd
  • 1 Post By Dogface
  • 1 Post By Pahack

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Gas checks for .45 ACP

Started reloading for my .45 ACP and can use some suggestions on the use of gas checks when using lead cast bullets. Currently reloading 230 Speer FMJ and want to try lead bullets. I have seen the benefits of adding gas checks, in terms of reduced leading, when using lead cast bullets in my .44 mag and I am wondering if this would hold true for the .45 ACP as well.
FWIW I plan to use the .45 for target shooting only and looking to fire 185 gr bullets powered by Unique powder sparked by CCI 300 primers.

And Happy Thanks Giving to all......

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 07:46 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

for a lot of loads in the 45 the velocity will have minimal leading unless bullets are soft. you can have a hard bullet and still see "smoke" but that would be the bullet lube and/or powder burn temps. A 44 mag will have higher velocity and pressures. I personally shot a lot of 45 s in 155, 185, 200, 230 and 255 gr lead bullets and have found them to be accurate and contribute to longer barrel life. If a load was smokey a change of powder or charge weight cured the problem.
jimsdad likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-24-2017, 08:48 PM
The Man

I have been loading Bullseye behind 200 grain lead bullets for a long time and have never used a gas check. My loads have varied from light for target shooting to heavy for IPSC. I have never experienced leading.
jimsdad likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2017, 02:21 AM

keep the load under 1000 fps you don't need them. Look up Missouri Bullet company and grab some of their coated lead 200 gr semi wadcutters. Awesome bullet.
jimsdad likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2017, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahack View Post
keep the load under 1000 fps you don't need them. Look up Missouri Bullet company and grab some of their coated lead 200 gr semi wadcutters. Awesome bullet.
Hey, looked up the site. Just a brief read of selected FAQ responses had me laughing out loud (LOL to the anointed ones). I have made it a point on my TO DO LIST to order something form these folks not only because I enjoyed the tone of the site but they offer some fascinating, and a tremendous variety, of products.

Thanks for the vector!

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsdad View Post
Hey, looked up the site. Just a brief read of selected FAQ responses had me laughing out loud (LOL to the anointed ones). I have made it a point on my TO DO LIST to order something form these folks not only because I enjoyed the tone of the site but they offer some fascinating, and a tremendous variety, of products.

Thanks for the vector!

Yep... the bullets shoot great too!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page