Tell me about the none MEC shotgun presses - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Question Tell me about the none MEC shotgun presses

How is the Lee shotgun press for reloading shotgun shells? I use all kinds of Lee reloading equipment in my reloading process but never owned one of their shotgun presses... I did notice when I watched a MEC video when they talk about the 600 press they say.. Buy this additional gadget to make the MEC 600 perfect.. Like the brass resizer tool.. They suggested that if you have a MEC 600 you might want to buy the $100 + brass resizer to make your hulls are like the factory..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 09:24 AM
The Man

I use the Lee for individual loads I make for hunting, mostly for steel shot. I do load both 12 and 20 gage and both 2.75 and 3" shells. I usually assemble the rounds by hand and use the Lee for crimping and setting and removing primers.

It is too slow for anything else and I use progressive presses for clays.

It is a good way to begin getting familiar with shotgun shell reloading.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 09:39 AM
The Man

BTW I do use a MEC resizer. It is not needed often. I usually run hunting rounds through it to prevent any trouble in the field.

I do believe the 600 comes with a sizing collar. The Lee does have a sizing collar. It is an extra step in the reloading process.

I shoot 150 to 200 plus rounds a week at clays. Now I use Remington Gun Clubs, AA's and Federal Game Load hulls. Over the years I had one or two instances where I had to resize some Gun Clubs because they became oversized in some way. These were usually pickups from the trap field. These were isolated incidents and if I did not have the resizer I would have disassembled the rounds, saved the components and tossed the hulls.
uncle buck likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 10:04 AM

the 600 has a sizing collar

a MEC is kinda like a car
there are different models and different options you can get.
only add on I ever felt was needed was a primer feeder.

as far as non MEC I can't help you out
maybe there are system benefits between lee products to consider

Da hawk ate my baby!!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 10:48 PM
Frequent Contributor

Simple..... Do not waste your money on a Lee shotshell press.
While Lee has a niche for Metallic loading. The Shot shell press is a piece of plastic junk....
If your looking for a 12 ga. a good used Mec 600 can be found for $50. The standard resizer is good enough.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 08:11 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The 600 MEC has gone thru some iterations over the years, but AFAIK, they all have a swaging collar to resize the brass. The resizing unit (Super Sizer) they sell separately is for some of their progressive presses without them. I have some of all of the above, and havent used the SS as yet, but I have lots of shells and dont have to reload the same ones often. In fact, I'll probably sell it cuz I got to thinking as to how I can use the swager on my 600's if needed....and I have WAY too many 600's!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
The Man

I like the vendor I get my shotgun reloading components from... Take the 10 gauge hulls that you get with the primer in them already...50 to a bag.. I have a single shot NEF 10 gauge... I only use it for coyotes and fox now and then.. So I can reload some 10 gauge without a press.. The roll crimp is all you need and some end 10 gauge cover cards... I do have a vise that I put the shells in to hold them too when I'm performing roll crimp. I get all my stuff here: Shotshell reloading supplies, components, & accessories: Ballistic Products By the way what a good way to make your own 20 gauge # 4 buckshot for any young hunters that might want to fox or coyote hunt..
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I too have a lot of 12 gauge 2 3/4 hulls. most are AA.. The old old old MEC 600 I purchased at a yard sale does kind of wreck the 3 inch hulls. I did change it out for the 3 inch and added the 3 inch components to the resizer station too.. I just can't see spending all that money for a resizer damaged hulls. However the pro on the resizer like you said above is that under hunting conditions it's good to have everything perfect .. What a shame to miss a coyote because of a jammed shell..
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 12:29 PM
Frequent Contributor

I don't know if still available but a MEC 700 versamax is a super nice press for loading hunting loads and has a super-sizer collet for making the heads at or beyond factory specs. I have loaded hundreds of steel reloads but always scaled powder and shot charges.

Don't shoot brown ducks!!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Yes I have two of them .. The 700 Versamax... I have it set up for 2 3/4 12 and the 20 2 3/4. The 600 MEC I purchased at a yard sale for about $35 that included the bench and a RCBS rifle reloading press too... So I changed the 600 out to the 3 incher a few weeks back.. But did notice how it put a dent in the brass of the 3 inch shells.. lately I have not been using the Roll crimp device on my drill press instead of even using a press.. I have hulls already with the primers in them and have never been fired... Again when I did watch that video from MEC or a person who put it on the youtube.. they did say the 600 MEC didn't work right on the brass of the hulls. They were recommending the resizer. I just don't reload shotgun shells a lot so I sure am not going to pay the $140 + or - for a MEC resizer. Like you also said.. If I was going to buy a brand new MEC... I wouldn't buy a 600 I'd go one step higher .. My two 700 Versamax must be like 37 years old.. I don't even use the MEC charge bars.. I use the universal charge bar with the micrometer settings on it.. I have two that I use on the 700 presses.. They will work on the 600 also...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page