I drank the blue Kool-Aid - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
tdd
Super Moderator

I drank the blue Kool-Aid

A friend came up with a good deal on a used Dillon 450RL progressive press. One I couldn't pass up, so I now own it.

Doing some digging, my lucky stars aligned. This used 450 came to me with the automatic powder and primer systems of a 550 already installed. I called Dillon to confirm, I need one small part for the primer system, and I'm in business. I inquired, while I had them on the phone, about a conversion to a 550. For those not familiar, the 450 and 550 are essentially the same, with one major difference.

In the 450, you have to screw in/screw out your dies to change the round you're loading. That means die setup each time. The 550 was made with a toolhead slot, so basically the dies stay set up. You just slide out the tool head (top of the press, basically) and leave the dies installed/setup. You have to buy a new toolhead for every set of dies you want to use, but then you can switch your shell plates, tool head, and you're switched over to the next cartridge you're reloading (yes, yes, I know...you have to reset the powder measure and if the primers are small vs large, you mave have to change that).

For most, the conversion from 450 to 550 is not practical because the total cost till done is about the same. In my case, I got the press and automated powder/primer systems for close to highway robbery pricing. Dillon told me for $100, I get a 550 frame with one toolhead and they assemble it at no added cost to me other than shipping it to them. When the dust settles, I'll have a 550 press at about 1/2 the best online price I can find on one.

Kinda feel like a kid waiting for Christmas as I get this thing sorted out. It's a 4-station progressive, manually indexed. While I'd like auto-indexing, the cost to move up to a 650 to get it is steep. And my work flow with this press (once fully setup and running on a cartridge)....

1- insert fired brass in station 1, insert bullet on station three. Ram up, ram down, press forward to seat the primer on station 1. Index the plate clockwise.

2- It has an auto-eject system installed, so the finished round will eject into a catch bin when I index the plate.

3- repeat until all components are used/reloaded.

Now I might actually not spend 3x as long at the press as I do at the range!

Ok, that's wishful thinking, but it'll cut it down some!
bigguy54 and nomad_archer like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
tdd
Super Moderator

Second loading session at the press. Took me longer to sift 100 brass out of the tumbler and wipe the dust off them than it took to turn those 100 brass back into loaded ammo.

This thing is freakin' awesome.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 07:05 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdd View Post
This thing is freakin' awesome.
And so is their customer service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
tdd
Super Moderator

For sure. Made a couple phone calls already just to be sure I was correct in what I was identifying with the press and what part/parts I needed.

I want to do the 550 upgrade eventually. I was planning to do that before even setting it up, but then I went and shot a beauty of a 10pt with my bow and decided to mount it, and the taxi got my 550 upgrade money, lol.

Honestly, as long as a crimp on a separate die from seating, the setup from caliber to caliber isn't terrible. Yeah, a tool head will be nicer, but I can deal with the setup for now until I get all the conversion kits and casting gear I want....I have more use for that than a toolhead for the time being.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
tdd
Super Moderator

Ran through a bunch of 45ACP components to turn them into actual ammo. I have load times down to about 15 min per 100 rds, and that's without trying to go fast, but actually taking my time and verifying things are working correctly as I go.

It's really gratifying to pull the handle, turn the plate, and out pops a fresh round...every time!
Dogface likes this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 07:40 PM
Part of the Community

I just came across this post.
I drank the blue kool aid 12 years ago. Bought a refurb sdb press.
Haven't used it in 5 years or so. Changed the dies over and set the adjustments.
It still cranks out consistent and accurate reloads.
It has more than paid for itself, and Dillions customer service is amazing.
The blue kool aid is addicting.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 08:17 PM

sounds like a good deal you got ,sounds like you're going to have some fun
Leafygreen likes this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 08:30 PM
Part of the Community

I am going to have a little fun, with a big bang.
Got a new to me, old s&w model 29-3 coming.
Loaded up some plated 240 for practice.
Sold my other 44 about 6 years ago. Well, need a new interest.
Here we go, get out your good ear plugs. Lol.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
tdd
Super Moderator

So......stumbled into a deal on a 550 press, believe it or not. I got the press for $50 more than the upgrade would have cost me to do on my 450. Except now I keep my 450 and add the 550. Works for me!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 10:44 PM

Got a used 650 a couple of years ago....took some readjustment, learning and a few replacement parts....been reloading 9 MM, 38, 357, 45 ACP. It really turn out the ammo.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page