Chamber pressure .44 mag - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Chamber pressure .44 mag

So I am looking to develop an accurate and comfortable load for my Ruger Super Redhawk .44 mag and I have this nagging question in my head relative to chamber pressure.
I have been loading 240 gr semi-wadcutters over 6.0 gr of Bulls Eye and have found this to not only be uncomfortable to shoot but inaccurate as well.
I reduced the powder charge to 5.5 gr of Bulls Eye and this is much more manageable and the accuracy is good to and is at the lowest recommended powder level.
But if I drop the powder charge below the recommended charge (5.5 gr Bulls Eye) to 5.3 or perhaps even 5.2 will I be in danger of increasing the chamber pressure to dangerous levels?

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 07:01 PM

dropping it down, will not increase the chamber pressure... it reduces it, and you may have a squib if you go to far. Stick to the manual... stuck bullets are not fun to deal with and if one goes half way, and you bang another one on top of it, you may need some hand surgery. ten or more years ago, I was being cheap, and reduced a 45 acp to low. first shot.. POOF... I felt it, and no hole in the paper... disassembled the gun, and the bullet only went half way. If you want to make light loads for a 44 mag, load up some 44 special brass and follow the manual. Better safe then sorry, brother.
bohunr likes this.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 08:07 PM

If you're looking for something easy on recoil for plinking I also recommend going to a 44 special load.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus99 View Post
If you're looking for something easy on recoil for plinking I also recommend going to a 44 special load.

I'll give it a try.

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 07:48 AM

i have a ported 44 mag. the recoil feels like a 357 or less. maybe have the barrel ported. i use full blown factory loads and its a real joy to shoot and accurate. took a woodchuck at close to 60 yards.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 08:05 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Be careful if too little powder in the case.
Too little and the powder will lay flat when the pistol is horizontal and the primer will pop over the powder causing the explosion to go upward instead of out the barrel. All the powder ignites instantly and not a burn like in normal situations where the powder burns back to front. It can increase pressure up to 4x normal. Cylinders and Topstraps rupture on light loads.
It is called Light Load Rupture.
Light loads of fast burning powder just cannot fill the case volume.
I would recommend using a powder like Trail Boss that is very bulky and fills cases but does not create enormous psi. The cowboy action shooters love it for reduced loads.

Barrels usually rupture on sqibs from light loads sticking the bullet in the barrel and firing another shot while the bullet is lodged in the barrel. Or light charges of fast burning powder are easy to double charge a case with resulting in blown barrels.

Use extreme caution with light loads of fast burning powders.
Also very light loads of slow powder can have the same effects.
Extremes at either end if the spectrum are never a good thing.
bohunr, Dogface, jimsdad and 1 others like this.

Our forefathers didn't bury their guns. They buried those that tried to take them.

Last edited by mfuff; 10-14-2017 at 08:11 AM.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfuff View Post
Be careful if too little powder in the case.
Too little and the powder will lay flat when the pistol is horizontal and the primer will pop over the powder causing the explosion to go upward instead of out the barrel. All the powder ignites instantly and not a burn like in normal situations where the powder burns back to front. It can increase pressure up to 4x normal. Cylinders and Topstraps rupture on light loads.
It is called Light Load Rupture.
Light loads of fast burning powder just cannot fill the case volume.
I would recommend using a powder like Trail Boss that is very bulky and fills cases but does not create enormous psi. The cowboy action shooters love it for reduced loads.

Barrels usually rupture on sqibs from light loads sticking the bullet in the barrel and firing another shot while the bullet is lodged in the barrel. Or light charges of fast burning powder are easy to double charge a case with resulting in blown barrels.

Use extreme caution with light loads of fast burning powders.
Also very light loads of slow powder can have the same effects.
Extremes at either end if the spectrum are never a good thing.
Good information and than you.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 06:25 PM

WOW...thats very interesting. i dont reload but THANK YOU for those who do.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 08:06 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If you research you will find that Bullseye is one of the very few fast burn powders that is least likely to cause the condition that I talked about above.
As a rule most Bullseye loads take up very little room in a case but has an extremly low instance of causing the detonation.
Most other powders are not that forgiving.

Our forefathers didn't bury their guns. They buried those that tried to take them.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 09:49 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

A few thoughts on this:
If you want to shoot below minimum loads you can use cotton balls to make a wad above the powder that will compress the powder against the primer and keep it there when you seat the bullet regardless of movement or orientation. The problem with low level loads is the bullet becomes an obstruction. In a normal load the bullet jumps to the lands with good velocity and continues to be forced down the bore. With a light load the bullet jumps forward but not with enough pressure to keep it moving, it jams into the lands, pressure increases, burning rate increases, and now it is in a closed obstructed container unable to get the bullet moving again because it is jammed.
A 44 is a potent round but most wouldn't consider it abusive in a SRH. Recoil management can be taught/learned, you don't just have to accept where you're at with it. Things like a proper grip, bore and forearm alignment, concentration on accuracy techniques like sight picture, trigger control, and breath control all can remove the perception of heavy recoil. There are also drills that help recoil management. Most recoil issues are more mental than physical. Wearing a glove will help substantially and a rubber grip that fits your hand. In hunting I went from 357 to 44 to 454 in a SRH. I also now use a 4" 41 mag in light titanium for packing in Alaska and I've taken a mountain lion with it, that is simply brutal compared to the 454.
In 44 I started with the 240gr. But I noticed the bullets seemed to just pass thru with little shock, deer would run off, very nice blood trail, but the deer would bounce off as if they weren't hit, similar to a hard muzzleloader slug. So I went to the Sierra 180 JHC hoping for more expansion and shock. Gave me less recoil, higher velocity, and a flatter trajectory out to 100. I "think" it helped with the deer but I never recovered a 180 or 240 to know for sure, always a pass thru. From the Sierra site "Designed for the hunter requiring accuracy, penetration and dependable expansion from a 44 Remington Magnum revolver, Sierra introduced the 180 grain #8600 in 1970. These bullets were upgraded with Sierra's PowerJacket in 1982. The dependable Jacketed Hollow Cavity and PowerJacket design makes these bullets extremely versatile. They are true magnum bullets, featuring a heavy jacket and 1 1/2% antimony core, yet they will expand reliably at 44 Special velocities. These bullets are extremely effective on up to deer-size game."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3740a.jpg (383.0 KB, 4 views)
Pahack likes this.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page