Anyone roll their own sabots or slugs for shotguns - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Anyone roll their own sabots or slugs for shotguns

http://www.ballisticproducts.com have all the components to roll your own slugs or sabots for shotgunning. Anyone reload shotgun slugs or sabots?

Notice this company sells roll crimp attachments that you can use on a drill press or hand drill... Does the roll crimp work easy on a hand drill?

I just don't like the prices on factory ammo shotgun sabots. 5 shots for $17.00 just a bit high if you have to sight the shotgun in with this particular ammo.. I rather roll my own. I probably play around with it more too.. Might even shoot chucks with it to see the effect..

by the way I have been reloading my own 20 and 12 gauge buckshot for predators... Easy to do if you get components from Ballistic Products... You might have someone that would like to use .....let say 20 gauge # 4 buckshot on coyotes... You can't buy # 4 buckshot factory anywhere but you can reload some excellent # 4 nickel plated buckshot...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 10:23 AM

Re: Anyone roll their own sabots or slugs for shotguns

I wonder if it's even worth the trouble..don't shoot enough of them to even make it worth while... I use the tru-balls from federal, once I sight in how many do you really shoot.. maybe 5 in ohio and other states and thats it for the year.. not really worth the trouble, thats one area I never talked to anyone about reloading..
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 11:23 AM

I have a Lee 1oz 12 gauge mold that I cast slugs out of pure lead. I load them using HS6 powder and a WAA114 Wad. It does not require a roll crimp and is crimped like a regular shell. I just have to be careful I mark them well because I would not want to fire a slug at a pheasant or shot at a deer. I shoot them out of a Mossberg 695. They are not the most accurate but they are minute of deer at 75 yards (The furthest I've tried them). I never shot a deer with one so I can't speak on their performance. I don't hunt in any slug only areas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I'm always thinking of way to imporove my shotgunning for predators... Here in Pa you can't use # 4 buckshot to shoot chucks..Like other small game .....only # 4 shot is legal to hunt chucks.. # 4 shot most brands would not even anchor a big chuck.. Might be fun to reload some slugs and shoot some chucks with a shotgun...
So many times when the hay is not cut.. the only way to hunt chucks is to walk for them along edges. With hopes one will walk on the side of heavy cover... This would be an oppurtune time to use the shotgun on chucks... Now what we really need to do is get PA to make it legal to use shot larger then # 4 shot for chuck hunting.. Thats not the case yet.. so you could use a slug....Hence that would give you a reason to reload some..
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 12:04 PM
New Arrival

I reload 20ga slugs using Fiocchi high brass hulls, collet cup sabots from Gun Servicing, Blue Dot powder and Hornady 250gn .45 bullets. Costs be about $1.10 each.

I found that I couldn't get an even roll just using a hand drill. I picked up a General Tools Drill Guide and it has helped quite a bit.

I'm shooting a TC Pro Hunter with the 20ga rifled barrel.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 04:03 PM

I don't but before I would reload my own slugs for ground hogs I would load#4 buck in shells marked #4 I hate slugs

P.S. The monkey really freaks DennyF out
If you stand in front of tanks the tanks are gonna win.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Ya but you could get arrested if you use # 4 buckshot for chucks and mark the shells # 4 shot..See things like this need to be changed..It's just not logical to think everything can be shot with # 4 shot..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page