Lyman Turret press work - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
tdd
Super Moderator

Lyman Turret press work

I ran across someone on a reloading group on Facebook who wanted to find a new home for a Lyman TMag Turret press in exchange for bullets he needed. I went through my bullet stash and I had some old stuff I long since haven't been using, and had no plans to use again, that he wanted. Done deal.

So I set up the press, replaced the primer arm he didn't have for it anymore, and then set it up with my 40/10mm dies, a powder-through expander, Lyman 55 measure, and a Lyman auto-primer system.

Yesterday, I got it all put together and got down to business. Well, got down to tinkering. I'm glad the kids weren't around to see/hear the start of this process...but eventually I think I got the stuff tweaked to point where it's running how I want. I need to refine my process a tad and get more practiced with it, but I loaded around 75 rounds last night, and I got it to about 30 seconds to take a fired/unprocessed brass and get a loaded/finished round. Definitely felt like a monkey with 6 thumbs as I started this, but I think I'm getting a hold of a good process.

Anyone else doing this kind of thing?

The way I set my press up was with my sizer on the die position with the primer system lugs. Next station clockwise holds a Lyman multi-expander powder-through die (this has multiple expander tubes to go from 32 cal to 45 cal). Into this is mounted a Lyman 55 measure. I set the measure for my charge of Longshot, set the expander to where I wanted. Next station going clockwise is the seat/crimp die.

So the process is.... Brass goes in, press stroke up, pops the primer and sizes the brass. The primer arm picks up a primer. When I bottom out the handle on the press, I push in the primer arm.

Bring down the ram, seat the primer. While seating the primer, I flip the turret to the expander. This moves the primer system out of position from the arm, so it won't take the next primer yet.

Lift the ram off the primer arm releasing it, and send it straight up into the expander. Bottom the press out, run the powder measure, and drop the ram all the way. One hand flips the turret, one grabs bullet.

Place the bullet, up into the seater/crimper.

Ram down, loaded and finished round out, next brass in. Flip turret all the way back, let the primer arm grab a new primer, and start over.

Because my press is the older t-mag, it has no handle on the turret. I'm thinking I may get a new turret with the handle slot and get a handle. That'll help a bit.

But using some care to make sure things go as I want, checking powder, etc., I'm running about 30 seconds a round from unprocessed brass to finished round. I only actually handle the brass once to put it in and once to take it out.

So far, I think it has potential. Not sure it's ended my interest in a progressive, but I think it'll keep my handguns fed with less bench time than I've been spending at a single stage RockChucker to do the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 09:46 AM
The Man

Could you cut a slot or find a way to mount a handle on the turret you have? It would save you some money.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
tdd
Super Moderator

I might send it with my father-in-law, who does plant maintenance and could d/t it for a handle. Didn't think of that. I have to try to find a T-Mag II turret to see what the handle needs, because I think they do a quick-release arrangement and not standard threads. Not sure....but a good idea.

I have to admit, I didn't expect as much tinkering to be needed as I wound up having till I got it running how I want, but now that it's tweaked a bit, I'm much more enthused. At first, I was pretty much thinking "this thing was a waste of time."

Once I got it tuned up a bit, it's been running much better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 11:03 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdd View Post
I might send it with my father-in-law, who does plant maintenance and could d/t it for a handle. Didn't think of that. I have to try to find a T-Mag II turret to see what the handle needs, because I think they do a quick-release arrangement and not standard threads. Not sure....but a good idea.
I may have a handle you can use. Its 6" OAL threaded to 3/8-16, the knob 1" dia. It looks almost identical the handle on the newer T Mags'. I don't what it was for or came from, its been laying in the parts department (junk box) for years.
If you can use it it will cost you $zip!!!
Bill

Attached Images
File Type: jpg handle.jpg (14.6 KB, 23 views)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
tdd
Super Moderator

Thank you! I may take you up on that. When I can get a chance to talk to him, I'll see what he can do. He does all sorts of metal work...welding, machining, etc. I take him my "special projects".

Thank you!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 12:55 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Just let me know. If you want it fire me a PM with your address and I get it on the nag.
Bill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page