case capacity 357mag 44mag - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

case capacity 357mag 44mag

Has anyone done a comparison of case capacity or have a link that isn't an online calculator that requires me to do all the measurements? Interested in the difference between starline, winchester, remington, and hornady in 357 or 44mag?
I know they change the production dies occasionally so the number is not definite, just looking for a generalization of what case holds the most\least. Not asking what is "best", just a generalization of case capacities. Thinking it goes from most to least: Win, Rem, Starline, and not sure about Hornady? I only have remington brass for my reloads, so can't just go do it myself. Doing a bulk purchase but not reloading for match type loads, just the case capacity is possibly a factor for me if there is much of a variation between the brands. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 12:49 PM
The Man

Sdowns, I'm not sure your going to get a reply. I suspect most handgun shooters are like me. They load up and shoot.

I am careful while loading up rifle ammo. I'm very careful and particular with the rifle ammo I'm loading for targets or varmints. Everything gets weighed, measured and double checked.

Not so with handgun ammo. If I'm loading a particular round I clean the cases and start loading. There are some concerns about case length in relation to crimps but that is it. I have never seen a difference in accuracy (group size) that I could attribute to case volume. I suspect that neither I nor my handguns can shoot well enough or consistently enough for me to recognize or to verify a difference.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks dogface. I purchased a ruger 77\357 and am going to try to work up a load that works in both the rifle and mine and my wife's revolvers. Was thinking of trying to purchase brass with the most capacity to help reduce pressures in warmer loads but probably not enough of a difference to be substantial? This is only the second revolver load for me, although do all my rifles. Online reviews and opinions are all over the place, but I went ahead and ordered 500 38+P and 357 Starline yesterday as they seem to have good reviews when it comes to straight walled brass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 02:16 PM

I use starline. I don't have an answer to your question and I don't think you would notice much difference in those calibers.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 02:57 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowns View Post
ordered 500 38+P and 357 Starline yesterday as they seem to have good reviews when it comes to straight walled brass.
I never used Starline but guys on sites I watch do and they have good reviews.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

OK, thanks all for the input and I now fortunately realize that I am over thinking this subject. But, for the many of you that I am sure are having a hard time sleeping at night because you are tossing and turning pondering case capacities I did find some 357 info. Head stamps that are older than me and a few I have never even heard of......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 357.jpg (576.7 KB, 10 views)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 07:07 PM

it isnt so much as how much different cases hold, its the type of powder you are using. cases will hold different amounts of powder depending on the type you buy. a case will hold more of a flake powder then per say a ball powder or grainular powder. when loading for both rifle and revolvers you have to be careful as the rifle will shoot a heavier powder charge then the revolvers. rifle loads will be too hot for the handguns. please be careful when loading for both.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 08:03 PM
The Man

Pretty much what the above chart shows.......................weigh the cases you have. As a general rule of thumb, the lighter the case, the larger the case capacity.

demokraten saugen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page