ruger super blackhawk 44mag 5.5" reloading? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

ruger super blackhawk 44mag 5.5" reloading?

ruger super blackhawk 5.5" barrel
win296, rem brass, hornady 240 grain xtp.
Hornady manual calls for large pistol primers.
Other manuals I have call for both large pistol magnum primers and regular primers with jacketed 240gr bullets when using win296 depending on the manual.
I did a load with large pistol primers but felt like I was getting an incomplete burn due to the gun being a flame thrower.
Anyone have an opinion if I should try magnum primers?

Last edited by sdowns; 09-08-2017 at 07:23 PM. Reason: OP was way too long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 03:36 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I've always used magnum primers when using H110 or W296. I know some manuals will list large primers, but in 26 years of reloading, I've used magnum primers with those powders and never had an issue.
Pahack likes this.

Steve
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks Steve,
Have been using google some and then went back to my manuals:
-3 listed regular large pistol primers (2 winchester, 1 remmington) but have since learned those companies do not offer "magnum" large pistol primers and the winchester (WLP) can be used for both types of loads.
-1 listed CCI large pistol magnum (CCI350) with H110, 296,and H-4227, but CCI regular large pistol (CCI300) for the rest.
-1 listed CCI350 for everything except for Unique.

So, since I have CCI350 on hand and not WLP primers going to give the CCI350 a try as it looks like I should have been doing that from the beginning. My mistake substituting CCI300 for the manual specified WLP, not understanding the WLP was a hotter primer and can be used in magnum loads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 08:11 PM
Regular Visitor

Mine works fine with Winchester primers.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 11:40 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

When I started reloading many years back, I remember reading or hearing that heavy loads using H110 and W296 required magnum primers. I've stuck with that ever since. Do people use regular primers with those powders? I'm sure they do, but I'll stick with the magnums.

Steve
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Hodgdon 2015 manual uses remmington LP, but all my other manuals use magnum or WLP (can be used for both regular and magnum).

I still have 30 rounds left with cci large pistol and 296, going to compare them to the magnum primers now I have a chronograph. Just not going to shoot them when it is real cold. They were my first attempt at reloading, and I remember the accuracy of the round or me was poor. Only loaded 50 and just tried one powder charge. That was 8 years ago, and figured I'd give the gun another try and see if I can do better now.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 01:27 PM

if im not mistaken 296 is a ball powder and might need a mag primer to get a clean burn. other powders that are flake powders most likely only need a standard primer. your barrel length could be why you are getting a lot of flash. a longer barrel gives the powder more time to burn then a shorter barrel.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 05:25 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa. Slim View Post
296 is a ball powder and might need a mag primer to get a clean burn.
Maybe. Maybe not. In one of my rifle loads, I am lighting 92.0 grains of a Hodgdon's ball powder with a Federal 210M very effectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa. Slim
your barrel length could be why you are getting a lot of flash. a longer barrel gives the powder more time to burn then a shorter barrel.
I'm thinking THIS. Yep.

demokraten saugen
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks guys. Going to try the mag primers with win 296 and CCI350 vs the CCI300 already loaded on target and with chrony.
If flash bang is still like forth of july may try alliant 2400.
Brass is not even prepped yet but will post the results.
Guess if the flash bang is still large that would be an excuse to buy a longer barrel .44mag? Working on the story for another gun that my wife might believe.....

Last edited by sdowns; 09-10-2017 at 10:00 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 01:43 PM
New Arrival

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowns View Post
Thanks guys. Going to try the mag primers with win 296 and CCI350 vs the CCI300 already loaded on target and with chrony.
If flash bang is still like forth of july may try alliant 2400.
Brass is not even prepped yet but will post the results.
Guess if the flash bang is still large that would be an excuse to buy a longer barrel .44mag? Working on the story for another gun that my wife might believe.....
I've done all the loading for my Super Redhawk (7 1/2") with 2400. Like the accuracy, but it's dirty. I like the XTP 240g and I've always used a CCI large magnum primer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page