Lead core bullets. What is your favorite? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

Lead core bullets. What is your favorite?

Which brand of bullets of the lead core type,do you like for hunting and just all around shooting fun ?
Myself i like Sierra. Hornady comes in second.
Laylow likes this.

WILLY P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 08:02 AM
The Man

I get very good performance out of Hornady bullets. Besides deer in PA, I've taken mule deer, antelope, caribou, moose, black bear, grizzly and some African game with the interlocks. Good bullets that don't break the bank. I always get good expansion and weight retention out of them, if I recover them.
Pahack likes this.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 10:10 AM

My favorite is Hornady 165 gr spire point shoots 1" groups with hand loads at 100 yds and gets the job done on deer.

Black Labs
Shoot Straight--Hunt Safe
Life Member NRA
Life Member N.A.H.Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 10:11 AM

Hornady and Nosler mostly
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 03:55 AM

For hunting, clearly the time tested Nosler Partition can't be beat....can't argue with it's long standing record..
tdd and psweigle like this.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 07:31 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Sierra game kings #1. #2 Hornadys. I have taken a lot of deer with 165gr 30 cal GK's, the wife has done her share with 100gr 243 gk's, the son is loaded with 100gr 257 Hornadys, and the daughters 30-30 is loaded with 125gr Sierra Prohunters. In my deertopsys with the 165 GK's there is a cal sized hole in, a whole lot of secondary wound channel from hydrostatic shock, and a quarter sized exit. Pretty similar with the 100gr 243, less hole, but plenty of damage. The Prohunters go in and wreck everything, but dont come out. Not a bullet I would want to take shoulder shots with but I taught the kids to take heart shots. The 100gr 257 Hornadys go in small, and out big in a cone pattern with substantial secondary.
The same guy who went with us on the pig hunt just took a 400lb caribou in AK at 175yds chest shot that passed through and took the ribs out on the far side with a 165gr Sierra GK last week. He used to use partitions out of a 6.5x55 and started liking his rifle more when he switched to Hornady.

I wont ever buy or shoot at a med game animal a partition again after their incredibly poor performance I had on a pig hunt.

More info on my experience with the Partitions.

I had seen enough deer that were holed by partitions to be wary of them but I was talked into them for pigs because of the "toughness". 3 rifles, 3 hunters and 3 pigs using the same bullet. The first pig my buddy got with a 165gr Sierra GK. On the run facing away a mid spine that put it down hard. It was dead and almost bled out by the time we got to it. The rest of us were shooting 165gr Nos Partitions at about 2800fps. The daughter took hers close up with a partition through the shoulder. It mushroomed on the bone and drove bone through the important areas. The expansion was OK, I have the recovered bullet and it might be twice the size. 1 down. The son and I took ours at the same time at about 60 yards. We pair fired on a set of pigs. Both went down. Luckily my son made a high shot and hit the spine and put his down, alive, but down. Later he put one in the brain case. His bullet drilled a hole through the spine. Mine went down facing left to right, then came up on 3 legs the Partition having broken the offside shoulder. It went to the head of the squealing pig my son shot and looked at it now facing right to left. I reloaded and fired again. It ran right to left. I shot it twice more as it went for the brush. Put one in the ham that I saw through a hole in the brush. It finally laid down. We went in for it and it jumped up and started to run and I put a Texas heart shot in it and it finally stopped.

Now I have heard all the shot placement bla bla bla from folks that were not there, and honestly even though I am a fair shot that is what I thought when it was on the run. I even said to the guide, "Am I even hitting it?" because I was seeing it flinch but it wasnt falling over. He said I was. When we took it apart, there was a group of holes through the lungs that you could have covered with a snuff can lid which I think was a pretty good group for offhand on the run. They looked like pencil holes through and through. 5 people saw the same thing at the same time. There is no question that the bullet did not expand enough to do substantial damage and left no wound channel to speak of.
willyp and Laylow like this.

Every day you see it on the news. Another felons life needlessly spared by inaccurate fire.

Last edited by Varmintmist; 08-15-2017 at 10:19 AM. Reason: more info
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 08:06 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

I've killed game with a slew of bullets.... including Hornady Interlocks, Interbonds, SSTs, GMX's; Speer HotCors; Sierra Game Kings; and Nosler Partitions, Accubonds, Ballistic Tips.

If you went to my bullet horde right now, you'd see a smattering of all sorts of brands and types. But if you went to my hunting ammunition boxes, you'd find Nosler Partitions, Accubonds, Ballistic Tips, and some Speer HotCors.

Having shot more than a few animals with all of those bullets, my load work anymore is involved with moving anything that's not shooting a Partition or Accubond over to those bullets. I've heard sporadic complaints on every bullet that's made on this green earth, but seeing what I've seen on deer I've killed, here's my take on bullets for killing deer:

Deer I've killed, or buddies have killed, using monometal bullets (GMX, Barnes) have shown very small entry/exit wounds, but substantial internal damage. I prefer them to open more than these bullets do, so I moved away from them.

Non-bonded cup/core bullets can get dicey if you don't want to pass up shots that will hit significant bone (shoulder/leg). I never lost a deer to a Hornady Interlock, but I found enough of them in pieces inside deer that it made me move away from them. The one and only deer I've shot and lost with a firearm was the result of total and complete failure of a Sierra Game King shot from a 6mm Remington into a deer at 300 yards. The shot hit right in the "pocket" of the shoulder and penetrated about 1" total. The deer was killed a short while later by someone else and we got to see the results. That sample of one was enough to put me off SGK's. Not fair to the bullet, but there's better stuff out there, and I see no reason to tempt fate again.

Bonded bullets like the Accubond and Interbond work well. I've shot deer at modest speeds from the 257 Roberts at 150+ yards with a 110gr AB and had nickel-sized exits. Not bad for a 1/4" bullet. I use them in my 264WM as well, and they are absolutely BRUTAL on meat, but some of that has to do with the speed the 264 generates, too.

I've yet to be disappointed with a Partition. I shot a 9pt in NC that was walking almost dead away at 200 yards. I shot him with my 300H&H moving a 180PT at 3000fps, and the bullet entered between the hip and last rib, heading forward. It traveled a couple inches below the spine until it reached the neck. The buck's head was down when the bullet hit, so the spine was low enough there that the bullet went into the spinal column and continued on up the neck, where I stopped digging. I never did find that bullet, but I never found pieces, either. The deer fell straight down. Broadside/non-bone hits have shown modest meat loss and massive internal damage with 3/4" or so exit holes, and that includes my 30-06 shooting 165PT's at a pretty mild 2700fps. I can't count the whitetails I've killed with PT's anymore, and I've never had anything but exemplary performance.

For range/plinking, I don't use any of that. I tend to use things like my M1A, AR15, M1 Garand, etc. There I use whatever is cheap. Or a 22LR.

I buy my Noslers from Shooter's Pro Shop. There's no reason to pay shelf price.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdd View Post
I've killed game with a slew of bullets.... including Hornady Interlocks, Interbonds, SSTs, GMX's; Speer HotCors; Sierra Game Kings; and Nosler Partitions, Accubonds, Ballistic Tips.

If you went to my bullet horde right now, you'd see a smattering of all sorts of brands and types. But if you went to my hunting ammunition boxes, you'd find Nosler Partitions, Accubonds, Ballistic Tips, and some Speer HotCors.

Having shot more than a few animals with all of those bullets, my load work anymore is involved with moving anything that's not shooting a Partition or Accubond over to those bullets. I've heard sporadic complaints on every bullet that's made on this green earth, but seeing what I've seen on deer I've killed, here's my take on bullets for killing deer:

Deer I've killed, or buddies have killed, using monometal bullets (GMX, Barnes) have shown very small entry/exit wounds, but substantial internal damage. I prefer them to open more than these bullets do, so I moved away from them.

Non-bonded cup/core bullets can get dicey if you don't want to pass up shots that will hit significant bone (shoulder/leg). I never lost a deer to a Hornady Interlock, but I found enough of them in pieces inside deer that it made me move away from them. The one and only deer I've shot and lost with a firearm was the result of total and complete failure of a Sierra Game King shot from a 6mm Remington into a deer at 300 yards. The shot hit right in the "pocket" of the shoulder and penetrated about 1" total. The deer was killed a short while later by someone else and we got to see the results. That sample of one was enough to put me off SGK's. Not fair to the bullet, but there's better stuff out there, and I see no reason to tempt fate again.

Bonded bullets like the Accubond and Interbond work well. I've shot deer at modest speeds from the 257 Roberts at 150+ yards with a 110gr AB and had nickel-sized exits. Not bad for a 1/4" bullet. I use them in my 264WM as well, and they are absolutely BRUTAL on meat, but some of that has to do with the speed the 264 generates, too.

I've yet to be disappointed with a Partition. I shot a 9pt in NC that was walking almost dead away at 200 yards. I shot him with my 300H&H moving a 180PT at 3000fps, and the bullet entered between the hip and last rib, heading forward. It traveled a couple inches below the spine until it reached the neck. The buck's head was down when the bullet hit, so the spine was low enough there that the bullet went into the spinal column and continued on up the neck, where I stopped digging. I never did find that bullet, but I never found pieces, either. The deer fell straight down. Broadside/non-bone hits have shown modest meat loss and massive internal damage with 3/4" or so exit holes, and that includes my 30-06 shooting 165PT's at a pretty mild 2700fps. I can't count the whitetails I've killed with PT's anymore, and I've never had anything but exemplary performance.

For range/plinking, I don't use any of that. I tend to use things like my M1A, AR15, M1 Garand, etc. There I use whatever is cheap. Or a 22LR.

I buy my Noslers from Shooter's Pro Shop. There's no reason to pay shelf price.
Thanks for the tip on the shooters pro shop, I like Nosler myself and I like those prices even better!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 10:15 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

Just don't buy up the ones I want!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 10:37 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

use any of them

do the homework before the hunt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page