.222 help - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

.222 help

Reloading for my Rem 722 in .222 and I have an issue relative to one test round refusing to chamber without being heavily forced......making me nuts. I have no issues with factory rounds for this rifle; they load flawlessly and are accurate.
I am using Winchester once fired brass that has been FL sized, trimmed to the correct length and loaded with
IMR 4064:
22.5 gr under 52 gr Sierra HPBT (this is the problem round).
23 gr under 55 gr Nosler SBBT.
Using the same die settings for both and the rounds loaded with the Sierra bullets will NOT chamber without a lot of force and in some cases I can not close the bolt at all on these rounds. No issue with the rounds carrying the Nosler bullets.
Both completed bullets are within spec of the OAL and neither of them show any signs of touching the rifling once chambered. But the brass cases carrying the Sierra bullets show marked and shiny brass on the head stamps after loading attempts....
In over 50 years of reloading I have never encountered this and there must be something I am doing, or not doing, to cause this situation.
FWIW - I am in the process of pulling the Sierra bullets using a kinetic bullet puller and them bullets are in the neck so tight that there is an imprint of the brass mouth on the copper bullet cladding. I counted 30 heavy blows with the bullet puller before the round left the brass case.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 10:01 PM

Color them with a magic marker(brass and bullet), chamber them(or attempt to) and see where the color is rubbing off. Are you measuring length from the ogive of the bullet or the tip? I know you said they're within OAL spec but some different bullets often need seated deeper due to the shape. I'm thinking it's a seating depth problem. Try seating one of those problem bullets deeper in the case and see if it corrects the problem.

Last edited by Marcus99; 08-10-2017 at 10:07 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 10:14 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I'm not much help and far from being an expert but it seems like the casing and bullet are being crimped. I have a Win M70 and a Rem 700 and load a variety of brass and bullets and have not had that problem. My best load is OAL 2.130, 55 gr. Hornady spire pts (#2265) with 19.3 grains of 4198.

I'll have to follow this post to see what the other guys have to say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 04:56 AM

IMHO - If the bullet,the 52 gr. Sierras,are your problem and are tight to put into the case, when putting them into the case they are causing the shoulder of the case to expand and won't let the case chamber .
Mic a fresh one and compare it to the Noslers OD.

WILLY P
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Update.
Well I pulled the bullets on the ones that will not chamber.
Rechecked the cases for size specifications and ran them through the tumbler.
Re educated myself on how to set up an RCBS decapping and resizing die and followed the instructions to the letter and re established the die in the press.
Ran the cleaned brass through the decapping and resizing die only to discover that some of the cases (about 50% actually) now have the shoulder misshapen and pushed back. Madness!
Following what Marcus99 suggested I colored the cases black with a Sharpie and found that the misshapen cases are impacting the chamber at the point where the case shoulder rim transitions into the body of the case. But this only happens on the misshapen cases, which makes sense; but what does not make any sense is why the die is producing some misshapen shoulders and some that are fine. Again - madness.
I have been using this particular RCBS die set, off and on, for about 20 years and upon taking it apart could not find anything wrong with it.
Going to reload these and if they do not chamber I will seat the bullets a skoshi lower as williep suggested. Don't have much hope for this as they are already seated in a hair more than spec and do not show evidence of touching the lands off the chamber.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyp View Post
IMHO - If the bullet,the 52 gr. Sierras,are your problem and are tight to put into the case, when putting them into the case they are causing the shoulder of the case to expand and won't let the case chamber .
Mic a fresh one and compare it to the Noslers OD.
They all (regardless of bullet weight or manufacturer [Nosler / Sierra]) mic'ed at .224 - exactly.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 12:54 PM

If you are calling a dimple or small dent in the case shoulder a mishap, You are using too much lube for resizing.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Hunt View Post
If you are calling a dimple or small dent in the case shoulder a mishap, You are using too much lube for resizing.
Nope, no excessive lube dimples here; the shoulders are actually pushed back in a uniform concentric fashion and resemble a P O Ackley Improved brass configuration.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 05:03 PM

If the seater die is not adjusted properly that can happen.It does not get adjusted to touch the shell holder if you do you will damage a case.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 06:06 PM

yup sounds like some sort of die adjustment problem now. I always measure my fire formed brass and then set my dies to bump the shoulder back a minimal amount.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page