Cost breakdown, Shotshell reloading - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Cost breakdown, Shotshell reloading

Here is a spreadsheet of my personal reloading costs based on component prices I paid today.

Yes, as most will agree, it is not really worth loading 12, and even 20.

But with the cost of factory 28 and 410's, well worth reloading the smaller gauges!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 02:53 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Cost breakdown, Shotshell reloading

Looks like a good chart. However the one thing you do not include is the actual price you are paying for components. I did not figure all your prices, I just figured the price of Red Dot. According to your price you are using a base price of $19 a pound for Red Dot. That is where I disagree with your numbers. I can buy Red Dot(retail) for a little less than $13 a pound.

I did not check any of the other prices of your components-just the Red Dot. I only checked the first powder in the first box on your list.

I think what I am trying to say is that volume shotgun shooters do not buy Red Dot by the pound at the local gun shop. So if that is where your prices are coming from then that is not where your typical volume shooter buys his components. Heck we buy shot by the ton. Not by the bag at the local corner gun shop. That is where the real savings occur. Just an opinion. But heck I still have shot left from where we bought it at $14 a bag. But we bought 10 ton on that order. We(our shooting club) buy components by the truck load.

I realize not everyone has that ability. However if you are a member of a shooting club. A trap range, or a skeet range. Then I am sure someone there are buying at better prices.

And last but not least. You do not consider the price of hulls in every box of shells you reload. Only the first. Tom.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Banned

well Hogg, as I said, I was using prices paid today for components, as that is what the average user of this board wants to know. In the past, I have bought 8 lb kegs of red dot, but those days are over, not worth loading 12 ga any more. If you ever find Green Dot for 13 a lb, let me know, I'll buy some from you.

Next time you get shot at anything under 20 a bag, you let me know, I'll drive out and buy a ton from you.

As for the hull price, the numbers I used are averaged over the life of the hull. 28 and 410 hulls are 12 cents a piece, and usually good for about 4 loads until I really start to scrutinize them, so therefore 3 cents per load.

Have a great Mothers Day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Banned

what I didn't put in is that I use reclaimed shot for my practice 12 ga loads. That was $20 for 25 lbs, and the shells load for about $4.50 a box.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 07:38 PM
Frequent Contributor

You can buy Red Dot from Powder Valley today for less than $13 a pound. Those aren't old prices. There are several powders for shotguns that you can still buy for right around $13 a pound.

As far as hulls are concerned. Once fired hulls normaly go for about 4 to 6 cents a piece here in WV. They could be higher in your area. I can not attest to that.

I was not quoting my shot price for comparison. But merely to point out that first you can get a better price by buying bulk. But also to show that if you buy bulk it will last you a very long time. As in 10 years or so. So just anticipate what shot prices may be in 10 yeras. That would make today's price look cheap?? Probably?? If lead shot is even available in 10 years??

I usually plan in advance of what I might need in the next ten or more years. And purchase in bulk to cover those needs.

So yes I agree with you. If you buy across the counter and don't plan for future shooting then you are probasbly right about the cost of loading being too expensive. But what I am saying is the guys who lay out good plans and do buy bulk---they are saving coinage. Actually lots of coinage. Tom.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Banned

thanks for the info on Powder Valley. Just checked them out. Prices looked great, until I saw their $25 hazmat fee. That'll wreck the price of 4 or 8 lbs in a heartbeat!

Congrats on buying for 10 years in advance! Wish I had some shot from back then!!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 01:56 AM
Frequent Contributor

John you are definitely right about that Hazmat charge. That is a real pain in the butt. However one good thing about them is that they will allow you to combine powder and primers. Alot of places make you pay two different Hazmat charges, and two shipping charges.

There is a company that delivers our clay targets to our tarp and skeet club. They also sell powder and wads and primers along with shot. And the best part is they deliver with the clay's. So there is no hazmat and no shipping charges. That is a great way to buy components. Especially wads, since wads take up so much space in shipping. And the lead shot is so expensive because of the weight!!

You are probably right that it is not economically effective for the average guy who only shoots a case or so a year. But for volume shooters who buy in bulk, they really can save some money. Plus you get to roll your own loads. Tom.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 09:15 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Henry
Here is a spreadsheet of my personal reloading costs based on component prices I paid today.

Yes, as most will agree, it is not really worth loading 12, and even 20.

But with the cost of factory 28 and 410's, well worth reloading the smaller gauges!

I think it's a fair representation of the average shooter. I used to load shot shells back in the day with a single stage press. Not worth it anymore. I don't shoot that many shotshells to justify the price buying in bulk. Pls I don't have as much free time as I used to either.

I don't shoot in any clubs. Normally just me and a buddy or two with a claybird thrower with a few hundred rounds. I tried joining a club a couple years back, but the seriousness from those guys just took all the fun out of it.

Venison - The other fast food

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page