Sierra 7mm 168 gr. HPBT Matchkings for Hunting? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Sierra 7mm 168 gr. HPBT Matchkings for Hunting?

I posted this in the reloading section but figured I may get a better response here. I got a great deal on three boxes(300) of Sierra 7mm 168 gr. HPBT Matchkings. I would like to work up a load with these bullets in my 7mm Weatherby Magnum. Anybody here ever use these for deer hunting? I have a friend who uses the Sierra .308 200 gr. HPBT Matchking in his HEAVY bench gun in 30-378. He told me that Matchkings work fine. Any real world experiences you wish to share on the subject? Thank you in advance.

U.S. Army Infantryman(11B20-Sgt.) 1978-82
172nd Arctic Light Inf. Brigade (Alaska)
9th Inf. Division
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 06:30 PM

It will get the job done? Yes Is it the best thing to use? No. Match bullets are designed for 1 thing... Accuracy. They're not going to have the same expansion, weight retention, etc... of a bullet intended for hunting.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 06:32 PM

This is straight from the Sierra website-

"Can I use a MatchKing bullet for deer hunting? They shoot just great in my rifle, so they should be just super for hunting use, right?
No, it's not recommended. The MatchKing bullets are designed for pinpoint accuracy; with no consideration given to what might happen after impact. If the bullet has arrived on target accurately, its job is done at that point. Hunting bullets must perform in a certain manner after impact. Penetrating ability, expansion characteristics, and even profile must be considered when designing a hunting bullet. Use MatchKings for matches, and game bullets for hunting."
Laylow likes this.

Last edited by Marcus99; 07-07-2017 at 06:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 03:28 PM
New Arrival

The key thing is that, although a HP design, it is not designed to deform on impact. Whilst on occasion it may do so it won't have been tested for that, and bullets that have consistent accuracy may not produce consistent wounding/killing.

Also, on deer/bear/elk it would be illegal, I think, as the manufacturer has explicitly stated that the bullet is not designed to deform on impact - even if it did do so acceptably. Admittedly your chance of being picked up and cited for that is probably pretty low - but there are almost certainly better bullets out there.

You might find that that the bullets you bought for such a good deal shoot close enough to the same POI as the equivalent Sierra GK bullet and therefore makes a good practice/zero bullet.

Have a look at this guy's page on 7mm Weatherby he gives a lot of description of effects of different bullets on game....

Good shooting!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 11:59 PM

back when i first started loading i tried using 168 HPBT in 30 caliber match kings. i found out that they dont work well on deer. i shot them out of a 300 H&H mag and had to hit a deer 3 times just to knock it down. when i skinned the deer out, i found that those bullets were expanding on impact. did not penetrate any further then the hide or the ribs. the front shoulder looked like it was hit with a bunch of razor blades. if you are using the 7mm for deer i would drop down to 139 or 140 grain bullets in spiral points. just my opinion.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 07:36 AM
Frequent Contributor

SMK's are not illegal! As for performance of the specific bullet you mentioned I cannot vouch for, but the ones I've used out of big 30's perform with excellent results on every thing from ground hogs to whitetails. That's distances from 50 to almost a 1000 yards. I've also had good success with them in my 220 swift, which has put many varmints to rest and a few venison steaks on the grill.

I've seen bullets designed for maximum expansion have the same size exit hole as the entrance, and I've seen bullets not designed for expansion create crater sized exit holes. I cannot explain why but it happens.

I have a couple long range rigs and use either Sierra SMK or Berger target bullets exclusively, this year we're going to try a few 300 grain Berger Hunter elite's out of the new 338 Edge.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 10:13 AM
Regular Visitor

Smk are absolutely illegal for hunting in pa, read your rules on ammo restrictions.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 10:34 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Are you talking about, " a bullet designed to expand on impact"? I think the law is referring to full metal jackets not hollow points.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 02:24 PM
New Arrival

Think about it this way, the law requires use of either an all-lead bullet, or one designed to expand on impact. Sierra do not recommend the use of this bullet for hunting (from their own website here):

Quote:
While they are recognized around the world for record-setting accuracy, MatchKing® and Tipped MatchKing® bullets are not recommended for most hunting applications. Although MatchKing® and Tipped MatchKing® bullets are commonly used for varmint hunting, their design will not provide the same reliable explosive expansion at equivalent velocities in varmints compared to their lightly jacketed Hornet, Blitz or Varminter counterparts.
I think you can safely assume that if the manufacturer says the bullet is not designed to expand on impact, then it does not meet the lawful standard set down by PGC.

If you don't believe me, call Sierra and ask them, or the PGC, but really, it's not hard to find real hunting bullets, and these SMKs might make a good plinking partner for either the 160 or 175 GK. The 100 yard POI shift is likely to be small.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 10:08 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have first hand experience with SMK's and can say with confidence they perform awesome for clean ethical kill shots. If this bullet didn't do that I'd be the first one to say don't use it.

Last edited by Gunnermhr; 08-29-2017 at 05:47 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page