thoughts on dillon 550b - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

thoughts on dillon 550b

I was looking at the dillon 550b progressive loader and wanted to hear any first hand accounts. thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 03:43 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: thoughts on dillon 550b

I just bought a new Progressive press a few months ago. I spent alot of time researching the presses. And it came down to the Dillon 550, and the Hornady press.

I bet I read 100 or more direct comparisons, and testimonials of people who owned both. And I found very few people that had any complaints about either. Everyone who had a Dillon really liked them, and the same with the Hornady.

So it came down to price and features for me.

And the Hornady has more features for less price. So the decision for me was simple. I went with the Hornady.

I will point out the differences as I see it.

First the Hornady has one extra station than the Dillon. And that was the major decision maker for me. Personally I will not use a Progressive unless it has a powder check die. I just do not consider it safe without a powder check die. That is where the Hornady shined. It has the extra station for a powder check die for handgun cartridges.----I also like to crimp separately(not while seating). And the Hornady still has enough stations to accomadate separate crimping and a powder check die.

Second the Hornady is self indexing, and the Dillon is not.

Third-it is easier to pull a cartridge from the press if you feel the need to.

Fourth it is easier to change out dies for a different cartridge. You just use a different collet for the die for each cartridge you are reloading. Then that way the dies go back to the exact same spot-and quickly.

Hornady also has a free bullet program for their press. I believe now it is 500 bullets. When I bought mine it was 1,000 bullets free.

You can't make a bad decision between the two. Both are fantastic presses. I just felt in the end run that the Hornady wa a bit better. Tom.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Great stuff, Thank you Tom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 05:55 PM

I own a Hornady and have used the Dillon. My brother in law has a 550 and a few buddies have 650s. Both are very good presses and I have no complaints about either. You will hear about Dillon's customer service but my experience with Hornady has been very good. I bought a used Hornady from Reloader's Outlet, about 9 years ago, that was used to produce the reloads they sold at the store. I'm sure there were 10's of thousands of rounds through it. It was missing a few small parts and the Handle needed replaced. I called Hornady to order the parts and explained that I bought it used. They sent them to me for free no questions asked. I have had no issues with the press and have loaded at least 20,000 rounds with it since I've owned it. If I was going with a Dillon, I would look at the 650 with the auto index.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 03:50 PM

If I had a Dillon 550B and you had a feather up you butt we'd both be tickled.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 05:59 PM
Part of the Community

I should have went with a Hornady but instead I went with an RCBS Pro2000 It had parts missing. But 1 call to RCBS customer service and 1 week wait I had the drop tube for spent primers great service but didnt like the wait

Some people minds are like concrete all mixed up and permanently set.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 03:32 PM
Frequent Contributor

550b is great lil press. An Dillion is EXCELLENT when it comes to CS if soemthing breaks they fix it or send you the parts to and they are patient an helpful via phone as well. Something to keep in mind with things like that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page