Bullet Tarnish??? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Bullet Tarnish???

i was reading someplace today that some bullets can tarnish over time. My cousin and i came across some old Hornady interlock soft points and they have what im guessing to be "bullet tarnish", is there any way to get rid of it, like running it in a tumbler? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 12:13 AM

Re: Bullet Tarnish???

I would think the tumbler would clean them up unless the corrosion has gone sub-surface. What do you have to loose! Give it a try and let us know how it works out for you.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 05:27 AM
Frequent Contributor

You can tuumble them. But I wouldn't. Sometimes that can have an effect on the tip, depending on whether the tip is soft lead or not. However I would not tumble them. The tarnish wil not hurt the accuracy of the bullet. I would just load them and shoot them. How ever I do realize how nice it is to have good looking shiny ammo. Tom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 12:22 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I've tossed them in a vibratory cleaner on occasion , but as Hogghead said, a tumbler might beat them up banging into each other.

Bill
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 12:57 PM
Frequent Contributor

the way i get rid of the tarnish is to load and shoot em.

"No State shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor."

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 01:09 PM

You are talking about the bullet itself and not a loaded cartredge - right? Don't ever, ever attempt to clean up live ammunition by runnig it through the tumbling process.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsdad
You are talking about the bullet itself and not a loaded cartredge - right? Don't ever, ever attempt to clean up live ammunition by runnig it through the tumbling process.
no its just the bullet, i wouldnt ever think of putting live ammo in a tumbler, thats a sure way to mess up your day.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 09:42 PM
Banned

I bought a brand new box of Sierra Pro hunters and they were all tarnished when I opened the box. I loaded them and used them. They worked fine but I didn't care for the tarnish.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 12:30 PM

Well then, I'd go ahead and tumble them and get them nice and clean. If you feel there is an issue with bullet tip deformation I would check the batch every now and then and see if there is any damage taking place. I read an article many years ago in which bullet tips were purposely deformed and then fired for accuracy. Up to a certain point, there was very little difference made in accuracy relative to bullet tip deformation. I think it would be pretty hard to achieve the degree of deformation that made an accuracy difference by simply tumbling the bullets.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 01:36 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsdad
I read an article many years ago in which bullet tips were purposely deformed and then fired for accuracy. Up to a certain point, there was very little difference made in accuracy relative to bullet tip deformation.
There have been numerous testing on the subject. The exposed lead tips were bent flattened and cut some cut off all together,they agg'd the same. Another test I read dealt with performance in ballistic gel. Again, there wasn't any discernible difference between pristine and deformed tips.

It was also determined the bullet heal/base and bearing length variations had more affect on agg'n ability then the tip.

Bill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page