reloading differnt case - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
The Man

reloading differnt case

For those of you who are experianced reloaders: How much difference does it make as far a using differant cases. In other words if i'm loading nickle plated norma cases and brass rem. cases with the same stuff will it greatly effect my groups? I'm not bench shooting just trying to get a good hunting load.

Now your diggin' where the 'tators are!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 09:06 PM
The Man

Re: reloading differnt case

IMO No, as long as you size them right, and trim them....they will work just fine for hunting loads.......

I can get MOA accuracy out of my 25-06 using a mishmash of brass.....

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 10:10 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Can't say how much effect it will have in a particular gun but it is not a good practice for accuracy and may be dangerous if you're near maximum. Nickel plated brass is brass with nickel plating on top of it, therefore it is thicker. When you resize the internal volume of the case is less than a non-plated case. If you determined a maximum load using the non-plated the pressure levels will be higher with the less volume plated case. Brass thickness varies within the same lot of brass so going across manufacturers just creates more variations and add to that varying hardnesses of the brass. Just isn't good practice if your goal is pressure consistency. If you're not at max and not concerned about developing the maximum accuracy capability of your rifle, then of course they will send rounds downrange.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 10:46 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I try and keep my cases seperated by brand but have had good accuracy with mixed brands.

Life member NRA
Life member DAV
Life member VFW
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
The Man

thanks guys. i think i will load then all up the same but when shooting "a group" i'll match them and see what they do. i'm just looking for a good deer/ bear load.
tundra, i will check and see how close to max i am. thanks for the info on the nickle cases. never thought about less volume inside them.

Now your diggin' where the 'tators are!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 02:05 AM
Frequent Contributor

I never mix brass. Never. I do not even mix plinker handgun loads. It is just a bad practice to get into. You should be able to afford to shoot matched brass.

IMO I only hand load to enhance the performance of my ammuntion. Mixing brass is contradictory to that premise. So it is a practice I do not get into.

Some guys may say I am too picky. All I know is I am extremely happy with the performance of my ammuntion. And IMO mixing brass is sloppiness. And sloppiness is not a trait that is sought after for reloading. I have been reloading for over 35 years and never had a single accident or misfire with reloads. Factory yes, but never reloads. And it is the attention that I pay to detail that ensures that record and my safety. To stray from consistency is to stray towards complacency-hence towards problems. Tom.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 08:58 AM
The Man

I have no problems mixing plinking handgun loads. My plinking loads are light, and with my shooting skills offhand I can tell no difference in accuracy at all.

I used to reload some mixed rifle brass. I no longer do. Several years back I threw all my old brass out, and bought new.

Venison - The other fast food
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 05:15 PM

Start messing with 22 hornet brass and you'll find out that different brands of brass can have considerably different volumes. The Hornet brass is notorious for this. I never mix brands of rifle brass. Any time I change brass, it's start low and work back up.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 11:46 PM
Frequent Contributor

if your at max loads it is not a good idea to use mixed brass. Pressure is related to the internal capacity of the cases. Different cases may have different capacities and thus create different pressure. You probably wouldn't blow up your gun but you may experience sticky bolt lift, extractor marks, or flattened primers if you run mixed brass at high pressures. That said if your not trying for one hole groups and don't run at max or near max loads you will probably not experience any problems with mixed cases.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page