Bushing FL Vs. Fl Die - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Bushing FL Vs. Fl Die

As I stated in to a new build and been loading for years. Getting ready to order dies for my new 260 AI build. This rifle will be like the rest as a top notch hunting rifle but of course will do some target for fun. My question is should I spend the extra money for the "S" type FL bushing die or just use the regular FL die. Yes I well understand the difference but the bushing and seater with micrometer sells for around 265.00 vs. regular package of fl, neck, seater die for around 150.00. Is it worth the extra 100.00 ? Will it show up on paper actually?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 08:44 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

IMO bushing dies make the most sense when being used with a turned neck case that is set for minimal clearance of the chamber neck dimension. I feel that threaded bushing dies offer two slight advantages; The floating bushing will possibly remove some neck runout, and possibly less neck compression during sizing. I dont think one properly set up threaded die will give a big difference in accuracy over the other. The bushing die might give you longer case neck life, but that would be dependent on the dimensional differences between the chamber, neck die, and/or bushing. Ultimately I dont think the extra $100.00 will be wasted, but no one can say for sure how much (if any) accuracy advantage there will be.

Will you be turning the necks?

Good luck, Tony
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony300wby View Post
IMO bushing dies make the most sense when being used with a turned neck case that is set for minimal clearance of the chamber neck dimension. I feel that threaded bushing dies offer two slight advantages; The floating bushing will possibly remove some neck runout, and possibly less neck compression during sizing. I dont think one properly set up threaded die will give a big difference in accuracy over the other. The bushing die might give you longer case neck life, but that would be dependent on the dimensional differences between the chamber, neck die, and/or bushing. Ultimately I dont think the extra $100.00 will be wasted, but no one can say for sure how much (if any) accuracy advantage there will be.

Will you be turning the necks?

Good luck, Tony

No I wont be turning necks. Guess another thing is I would know everything is as good as I can get it. Thinking also longer case life. The 100.00 difference is also the micrometer seating die.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 04:09 AM

FL dies have one big disadvantage: They use an expander plug to open the neck. Expander plugs are well known to misalign necks, and spoil good accuracy. Bushing neck dies do not open the neck internally. Send $75 to Harrells with two fired cases and get a great FL bushing die. They make em in any caliber.

Full Length Die

benchrest
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoolshooter View Post
FL dies have one big disadvantage: They use an expander plug to open the neck. Expander plugs are well known to misalign necks, and spoil good accuracy. Bushing neck dies do not open the neck internally. Send $75 to Harrells with two fired cases and get a great FL bushing die. They make em in any caliber.

Full Length Die

Thanks, never heard of this company.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 07:29 AM

Harrells are very quick in turn around. Less than 2 weeks. I have 5 of their FL bushing dies, use them all the time.

Many benchrest shooters use Harrells dies. Get the Redding competition seater if you want a good one.

benchrest
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 08:06 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofstater View Post
No I wont be turning necks. Guess another thing is I would know everything is as good as I can get it. Thinking also longer case life. The 100.00 difference is also the micrometer seating die.
Everyone has their opinion on what works best and what doesnt; I will give you mine.

I think bushing dies work best when all case necks are the exact same size and the bushing is controlling the amount of neck tension without the use of a expander ball. Removing the expander ball eliminates one possible area of miss alignment and it eliminated one step of brass movement during resizing. But unless all case necks are uniform (by turning) you will need the expander ball to maintain uniform neck tension.

I dont think any 7/8-14 threaded die will ever give repeated concentricity. Even though the bushing is floating, if the die is has any misalignment because of how it is screwed into the press, the case body and neck will be misaligned.

IMO bushing dies make the most sense when using a inline (non-threaded) neck die (no expander ball) and cases with the same neck thickness.

If I am trying to eliminate every possible area of misalignment in my reloading, to get the best accuracy out of a custom rifle. I will use a inline (non-threaded) neck die with bushing and only FL resize when cases need it and use a inline (non-threaded) seater die.

For the majority of my reloading I use standard 7/8-14 threaded dies. Neck size until cases become tight then FL size and seat with a standard seater die.

Good luck, Tony
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Thanks Tony !
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 09:30 PM
Frequent Contributor

I skim the neck just enough to uniform them some, and I polish the expander ball on my FL sizing dies and use light lube on the case mouth so I'm not "fighting " the press on the down stroke of the ram when it's expanding. If you have to muscle the press handle you're tweaking the neck out of wack. I've had decent success this way with and without comp seaters.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 01:06 PM
Frequent Contributor

I vote for the Bushing Die, But I would also order a tight chamber reamer and turn necks. At the very least cut a minimal amount off the neck to clean it up and make it uniform. A non Bushing die overworks the brass by sizing it too small, you also do not have any control over neck tension. Harrels is a reputable place, I've never had any of their products but always here good things, I do have dies made by Whidden Gunworks and like them a lot, they also make a real nice Comp seater die. Although for a hunting rifle I would probably not go with the comp seater. I guess it just depends how fussy you are with reloading. My bullet seating process for match guns is a bit extreme and comp seaters make it a much easier task

All my bushing dies are floating, can't really say was aware of a screw in type? And all my dies are screw in, I do not have an arbor press, a lot of my friends look at me in dis-believe at matches over it. I have too much invested in Dies at this time to begin switching over to an arbor press. Unless my results take a drastic nose dive I'll keep using screw in dies. If I were starting from scratch I'd have an Arbor Press.

Unfortunately I have to disagree with Tony, the only thing the expander ball is good for in my opinion is to hold the primer plunger, or what ever it's real name is.

What action and Barrel combo are you using?

You should bring this beast to Ridgway and smoke a few silhouettes, a 260 Variant should work well there
outofstater likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page