Two questions - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Two questions

Hi guys im an avid reloader, been taking a look at the hornady overall length gauge with the modified cases, im curious if anybody uses them and has seen a difference in accuracy when using it. Im looking to try to take my reloads to the next level in consistency. Seacond i have a ruger 6mm that i have dialed in the 80gr barnes ttsxs, im thinking about making up a groundhog/ longer range load for it. I have some 95gr ssts, not sure if theyd be what im looking for though, anybody have any bullet recommendations? Was looking at the 105gr amax to try. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 04:12 PM
dce
Sage

I would never be without one.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 09:58 PM
Frequent Contributor

One of the most valuable tools in my mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 10:18 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

You can sort of do the same thing with just brass and bullets, but it's a major PITA and uses up components. The Hornady set is very valuable to get your distance to the lands.

The nice thing is...if you also get and use their bullet comparator collets for your micrometer, you can take that measurement to the ogive and then you have it REGARDLESS OF BULLET TYPE. You then know the distance the ogive needs to be from the casehead in order to touch the lands, and then you can quickly and precisely load to get specific distances off the lands.

I use those two tools plus the headspace collets to measure shoulder setback. I size my brass, especially belted mags, to have minimal shoulder setback (just enough to function well, which is usually 2-5 thou'). That will also help your accuracy a bit, in addition to more specific control over the jump to the lands.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 07:10 AM

A good tool to have ! It sure cuts down on guessing.

WILLY P

Last edited by willyp; 05-10-2017 at 07:11 AM. Reason: s
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 09:43 AM
Frequent Contributor

I like mine, not sure i have a gun that I don't have one for. I've bought mine when it was still Stoney Point

If you're looking to make a long range shooter out of that 6mm, you're on the right track with the 105 class bullets, I've found better accuracy with Bergers and Sierra's. The 105 Berger Hybrid has been my go to bullet for the last couple years. Sierra came out with a 110 grain 6mm bullet this year, I'd think that may be an excellent choice, remember, in the long range game Ballistic Coefficient is king. You'll just need to figure what bullet the gun likes the best.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 04:47 AM

The OAL guage is used to determine where your bullet will touch the lands, or begin to enter the bore. I take the measurement with my caliper at least 5 times then average it. Then I seat that bullet in a dummy case with no powder or primer, measure seating to that same distance, try it in the rifle. Polish the bullet with 0000 steel wool and you should be able to see very faint marks where the bullet has made contact with the lands. Write it down. From that point you can set your seater die to either jump bullets or jam then into the lands, or just keep them at kissing. On some factory rifle chambers, it is very difficult to see the kissing point. I use a 6x jewelers loupe which helps.

benchrest

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page