Reloading advice - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Reloading advice

New to the game and have a few basic questions: a) Is it best to clean cases before or after decapping? b) Is it safe to decap a live primer? c) I have some Winchgester Supreme factory loads. The cases are silver. Can they be reloaded?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 11:44 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Reloading advice

Cases should be clean before running into any die. Dirt can scratch the die. I've decapped live primers just do it slowly, guess it wouldn't hurt to wear safety glasses but I never have. Nickel cases reload the same as plain brass, some report limited life with them, plating coming off... But the processes are the same.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 12:22 AM

Nickel Plated Brass can also scratch your dies, which is why I choose not to use it.

Brass is typically not dirty enough to scratch your dies. Unless you dropped it in the mud or something like that, I would not worry about it. You can do it either before or after you resize.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 02:32 AM
The Man

I clean my cases first before going into any die. If you don't, a buildup of dirt will accumulate in the die and will scratch it no doubt.
It is not recommended, but I too have deprimed live ones. I really took my time and went SLOW. If it can be avoided, I would not habitually do it. It is asking for trouble. Even though it "only" a primer, having it go off that close to you I'm guessing would not be a pleasant experience.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 04:48 AM
Frequent Contributor

Not sure why you would not just put the case in your rifle and fire the primer?? It would be considerably safer.

I normally run my brass through a de-priming die only. Then I clean my brass before sizing. A de-priming die does no sizing. And you can run any brass into the de-priming brass. By any I mean any cartridge. It is a one size fits all die.

I use nickel brass all the time with no problems. I actually like using nickel plated brass to separate the power of my loads.

I never had any scratching problems with clean brass. But I still would not run dirty brass into my dies. Just an opinion. Tom.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 04:49 AM

i tumble before resizing briefly and after for a while...

before to get them cleaned up some...after to remove lube and brass shavings from my prep after sizing..

i havent and wont mess with nickle plated cases...

i wont decap a live primer..i'll fire it from the rifle..its 3 cents or something..not a huge deal..i do it everytime i pull a bullet for whatever reason...just not worth the risk IMO over a few cents..
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 11:37 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOGGHEAD
Not sure why you would not just put the case in your rifle and fire the primer?? It would be considerably safer.

I normally run my brass through a de-priming die only. Then I clean my brass before sizing. A de-priming die does no sizing. And you can run any brass into the de-priming brass. By any I mean any cartridge. It is a one size fits all die.

I use nickel brass all the time with no problems. I actually like using nickel plated brass to separate the power of my loads.

I never had any scratching problems with clean brass. But I still would not run dirty brass into my dies. Just an opinion. Tom.
Setting off a primer is like shooting a cap gun- +1 on hoghead

I clean brass before sizing if they are dirty but I consider getting the lube off before going into a rifle VERY important. The reason is the lube will build up in a chamber causing problems and dirt will collect in the lube causes scratches in the chamber.

Nickel is pretty looks nice at the range but does not hold up and tends to split after several firings- I had nickel 223 winchester cases and only got 1 load out them, about 75% split. I am on my third load on 300 wsm with no splits yet.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Thanks for the advice. Problem is I don't have guns that match up to all of the ammo. I inherited some very old shells and just want to disarm them.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 03:34 PM

Well they won't go off on thier own.Keep the old ammo as is.If you have a press just push the primers out after pulling the bullet.That will destroy any value they have though.I have removed primers without a problem.If the value means nothing to you sell them on here.Someone may actually need what you have.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 08:29 AM

A. If you tumble cases after depriming, be sure to clean any flakes of media from the primer flash holes.

B. When you remove a live primer, the decap pin is pushing backward on the anvil. Detonation occurs only when pushing the anvil from the face side, i.e., as expected with firing pin striking it.

C. Nickle plated cases can be reloaded, but since they are a bit thicker than brass, your load may change, and if used over a long time, they can scratch sizer die.

benchrest

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page