Transporting test loads to the range - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Transporting test loads to the range

How do you contain/separate your test loads to transport to the range? I have been using letter envelopes for many years. One per test load 3-5 rounds. Do they sell like the old pill envelopes or is there a better way. Sometimes it is a few weeks from the reloader to the range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 04:56 PM

zip lock baggies with little paper labels inside of them with the ammo. I number the labels and then number the targets. At the end the label gets stapled to the corresponding target.

Last edited by Marcus99; 03-28-2017 at 05:13 PM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 05:04 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I just use a 20 round box. I usually load test rounds in lots of 4. I place a piece of masking tape on the side of box, and write any pertinent information on tape with a line between different loads.
308 ruger and Asajoe1 like this.

The way that you wander is the way that you choose,
The day that you tarry is the day that you lose.
Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder.
Where the fair wind blows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 06:50 PM
Frequent Contributor

I write on a piece of paper what the powder charges are and I also color the tips with different colors from a magic marker and record the colors, I do this in case I spill the ammo. Also the colors will show on the bullet holes and that will tell which loads are which on the target.
Drags
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 06:58 PM

I use 50 round ammo boxes and put numbers on the primers with a fine point sharpie marker. I put a label inside the lid and list...#1 = , #2= , etc... Some guys will color code primers with different colored markers
jimsdad likes this.

USAF Security Police, MSgt (Retired)
NRA Life, NAHC Life, NMLRA, American Legion Life, VFW Life
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 07:11 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

I use a fine point sharpie and write the load data on each case. Takes just a moment to do, and then there's no issue of things getting mixed up.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, some real good methods. Several I never thought of. Over the last few days I reloaded around 45 different loads of (3) for a few different guns, with different powers, primers, various brass and set different bullet seating depths.

First I record all my loading information on pre-printed forms for each gun which I retain and record measured groups, place my prepared brass in reloading blocks numbered by rows and make a list of test loads by power, use the list to load all of one power while in the dispenser then proceed to the next power.

I then make a bullet list so I can load all my same bullets without changing dies first by type of bullet, caliber and gun for further use. This time I had to measure, determine and list the O-give for each bullet for each gun.

I place each group of 3 in a paper envelope and tape them. I have some fear than the envelope seals could separate and I would not be certain exactly what I shooting, could not record or use the information. A lot of work for nothing....

Thanks to the valued input I have received. I will be able to improve my transporting/identification methods. Thanks again.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 03:09 PM
Frequent Contributor

I put all of my test loads in the green hard plastic 50 round ammo carriers. The rows are labeled 1-10. I then write a date loaded on a piece of masking tape and put it on the container. Then I have my load notebook with that dates loads with the loads listed 1-10. Then each target gets a 1-10, and I only shoot 5 rounds at a target. (I save all of my targets in a file organizer by rifle and write on them the rifle, date, load, and weather conditions.)

When I was back in school for my MBA, they make you purchase $50 worth of paper for printing in the computer labs. It equals 500 pieces of paper. So at the end of each semester I would go and print off 500 targets. It was always during finals week so it got me a lot of dirty looks haha.

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 03:17 PM
Frequent Contributor

I too use a 50 round box but I'll just separate all of the rounds of each load, and then fold a Post-It note in half and stick it in each group with the load info on it.

I hope you understood what I meant, it's hard to describe without a pic.

NRA Lifetime Member
PTA
NTA
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 07:35 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdd View Post
I use a fine point sharpie and write the load data on each case. Takes just a moment to do, and then there's no issue of things getting mixed up.
This is what I do. I only need to step outside to test loads, so I just use a loading block to transport them.
But it is possible to spill them and cause a mixup. Marking the load on the case eliminates that possibility.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page