Pros and cons of TTSX's - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Pros and cons of TTSX's

All I keep hearing about is how Barnes TSX and TTSX's have revolutionized the hunting industry. All I hear about is good things and from the way guys on the internet make it sound you can hunt nearly anything with any weight or any caliber as long as you're using a TTSX. So what's the fly in the ointment or aren't there any cons with these bullets?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 10:44 PM
Regular Visitor

Re: Pros and cons of TTSX's

cons are you have to clean more often because they copper foul.because they loose no weight you can shoot a lighter bullet at higher velocity in any given caliber.I have shot my last 4 whitetail with them and they are by far the best
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 11:55 PM
Frequent Contributor

Why do they copper foul more than a copper jacketed lead core bullet? I'm also a bit confused on the weight loss? I don't think any of my bullets loose weight while in flight, but I never caught one to measure it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 12:11 AM

If they don't lose weight where does the copper fouling come from?Lol.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 04:24 AM

I think what he was trying to say was that the bullet retains most of the weight upon impact.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 01:34 PM
The Man

I've been shooting them for a couple years now and haven't noticed a significant amount of copper fouling. Though admittedly I'm not running hundreds of rounds through the gun either.

I've shot 5 animals with them, a coyote, 3 whitetails, and an elk. All 1 shot kills. My cousin also used my gun to finish off his elk this year (long story), 1 shot put her down for the count too.

"I suppose it is the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 03:40 PM
The Man

They supposedly foul more than a copper jacketed bullet because the barnes are pure copper, where as the jacket on a copper jacked bullet has other metal alloys mixed in with it to make it harder. I haven't notice more fouling in the barrels I shoot them through though. And by "don't lose any weight" he meant upon impact. In a 30-06 you can shoot a 130 gr tsx and it will penetrate as good or better than a 180 gr. core lockt or other similar bullet. All the while it will be going faster, and have a flatter trajectory.

I think I'm an alright guy, I think I'm alright
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I am considering the 130 grain TTSX. The 150 at the most. They sound like the way to go.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 06:47 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Just remember that Barnes X bullets are usually longer than the same grain bullet of other makes. Because copper is lighter the bullets tend to be longer. This can affect seating depth as well as rate of twist in some bullet/barrel combinations. I have never had a problem but it can cut into case volume if your fillin up.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 12:25 AM
Frequent Contributor

I have been shooting big game(deer and elk) for over 35 years with 30 caliber 150 to 200 grain jacketed lead bullets. And these bullets perform extremely well. I am sorry but why would I pay two to three times as much for a bullet to do the exact same thing?? I just don't get it. If you want to fall for the marketing gimmick and pay all that extra money for bullets-then by all means go ahead. It is your money. But IMO the bullets are a complete waste of money. Just an opinion. But we rarely, if ever hunt dangerous game in this continent. And that is the only reason to concern yourself over controlled expansion. I see no problem at all with a 165 grain bullet that only weighs 100 grains after I picked the deer up off the gorund?? Heck lots of times controlled expansion bullets have less of a shocking or killing effect on thin skinned game. Tom.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page