post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

.300 rum

Hey guys I'm just starting to reload... what is your guys .300 RUM reloads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 08:05 AM
Frequent Contributor

I shoot a 300 RUM Improved, it likes WC872 powder. It's military surplus and real affordable, at least it was when I bought a bunch. I bought a case and believe it was like $35 a jug. I'ts reloading data is VERY similar to H-870. You'll burn though a bunch with a RUM. It was the most accurate powder I found in my gun, I tried several.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 09:33 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Im in the same boat as parkershooter. Just ordered my dies this past weekend. Looking for an accurate hunting load that I can use to take game up to elk size.

A haiku is just like a normal American poem, except it doesnt rhyme and is totally stupid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 11:42 AM
Frequent Contributor

In my Improved its 95 grains of WC872 pushing a 240 Grain SMK. I guarantee whatever you hit with that combo will not walk away. Out of a standard RUM I would probably start out in the neighborhood of 90 grains, look in the book at H870 data. If it isn't in any of the books you have I can scan a copy and post it. H870 hasn't been available for many years.

If you're all interested in purchasing Bulk let me know. I just built a 338 Edge and am hoping WC872 works, if so I'd probably want another 1 or 2 jugs. They used to come in a case of 6. One can never have too much powder.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

just to follow up I came up with berger vld hunting bullets 190 grain and 82 grains of RL-22... I talked to a guy in susquhannah county who builds guns his last name is Borden he said go with the RL-25 he feels that's the better of the two... I also did some research and a lot of people are saying retumbo powder is the way to go out of the 300RUM I have not played with this yet but I'm hoping to get some 208 grain A max with retumbo tomorrow. where are you located in Bradford county. I'm from the Towanda area
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 01:21 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Is 82 your starting point? Ive seen suggestions of much higher powder charges. I think Borden knows what hes talking about and if he recommends RL-25 I might lean that way. I just got the dies in from Midway on Friday so I'll be looking to get powder and bullets here pretty soon.

I'm in Windham

A haiku is just like a normal American poem, except it doesnt rhyme and is totally stupid.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 04:28 AM
The Man

I'm running 200gr accubonds in my Christensen. It's very accurate with both RL-25, and Retumbo. However Retumbo is about 100fps faster, and with better temp stability, it gets the nod for me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page