Accubond Seating Depth - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Accubond Seating Depth

Have any of you guys seen a pattern with the seating depth of these bullets? I've been working on a load for my 300 wsm for the past few weeks and just can't get it right. I am shooting 180 grain bullets out of nosler brass at near max velocity with H4350. I have been seating close to the lands. I did a google search yesterday and found on the Nosler site that guys seem to be getting the best accuracy with these bullets seated deep into the case. Anywhere from .040 to .150. I will be trying that this weekend. Have any of you seen that with these or similar bullets?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 07:29 AM
Frequent Contributor

I cant speak for accubond bullets but if your having trouble abandon them and try a Berger 200 grain Hybrid, 60ish grains of H4350 .010" off the lands, if that doesn't work the gun is broke. You may need to tweak the powder charge and seating depth a bit but that combo will get you in the area you need to be. I may have a few laying around if you want to give them a try.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 08:34 AM

Every gun is different you just have to experiment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 12:37 PM
Frequent Contributor

While every gun is different, Accubonds tend to like a little jump. I start at 40 thous. and increase the jump from there. I've never seen them at their best closer than that. Stick with a single seating depth to start (.040", .050", something like that) and sort your charge out. Once you have a charge weight/powder that is looking promising then try incremental changes in seating depth.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the advise and offer on the Bergers. I'll definitely give them a try when I come across some. I should add I'm working on this gun for an elk hunt this fall. I'm hoping to be comfortable to 400 yards with it. I've got some good groups out of it so far but not consistent. I started with partitions and switched to the accubond after loading a few. They did better so I stuck with them. I'm very close to being happy with it just can't get there. Groups are coming apart at 200.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 10:30 PM
Frequent Contributor

PM me your address, I'll send you a few, the wsm hammers at long range. 400 or 500 is literally a chip shot if you have the right load and practice. My WSM's are all custom, they are lights out accurate, under 2" at 500 with 5 shot groups. Several between 1.25" and 1.5". You should see 3" to 4" groups at 500 with a good factory gun.

Try CCI BR2's and federal gm215m primers
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 04:26 AM

Seating depth is just one part in the total equation while reloading for accuracy. First, select a powder and charge that you think should work; then same with a primer. Adjust the powder charge up and down a few grs. at a time. Bullets cannot be seated longer than lengths to fit a magazine. Never jam bullets into the rifling for a hunting rifle. Prepare a dummy round with no powder or primer, seat out until you can see land marks on the bullet. Clean bullet with 0000 steel wool. Adjust down until those marks just disappear. Then load cases and seat bullets down from that point, .010" at a time.

The Berger web site has a good article on this.

benchrest
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I have been all through the powder charges at this point. I tried everything starting in half grain increments and fine tuned my best charges by loading tenth grain increments. I started seating .020" off the lands measured with a hornady gauge and comparator. Once I found the best powder charge I started seating closer with that charge. I ended up stopping at .005". All groups were shot through a chronograph and I had to adjust powder charge slightly as I changed seating depth as velocity increased. I have been using Winchester magnum primers because that's what I have a big supply of. I loaded some with cci magnums with similar groups, but 20 fps less velocity. I've been hoping to find the federal match primers but I normally order my supplies because I've yet to find anyplace close that stocks much. I think I've done everything I can with this powder and bullet combo other than seating deeper.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 04:54 AM

Don't forget magazine length, that will ultimately need to figure into the equation !
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the advice. Seems my gun likes those bullets with a .040" jump and around 2900fps. I am going to try to load a few powders around that velocity and see what works. I think if I can find one that gives me consistent velocities now I will have found my load. I tried some H Hybrid this weekend and groups got better. I think I know which way to go now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page