small rifle primers! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

small rifle primers!

I was just at cabela's and they had an endcap facing the gun counter of CCI small rifle primers for $19.00 per brick- reg price was $32.00 . Best price I have seen in quite some time.
Seem like there was plenty for sale.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 06:23 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: small rifle primers!

I saw them on sale so I tried to order some this evening. I also needed to order a jug of Trail Boss. Now I realize you have to pay a $20 Hazmat fee. But the guy said I had to pay one hazmat for 10,000 primers along with another hazmat fee for the jug of Trail Boss. They said they could not combine the two. So then I also had to pay $18 and change for the shipping for the primers and then another $18 and change for the shipping for the jug of powder. So all told my shipping charges for 10,000 small rifle primers and one jug of Trail Boss was over $77. Can you believe that?? I swore off Cabela's a couple years back because of shipping charges. But this time I am done with Cabela's for good.

And by the way. Most places will combine shipping and hazmat fees. So Powder Valley is about to get a big order. So Long Cabela's.

And the best part is I have a friend who had to go to Wheeling tomorrow. So he is going to pick up my primers at 19.99. So I got the last laugh on Cabela's. I told him under no circumstances should he spend another penny of mine while he is in that store. Is that taking advantage of Cabela's?? YES. And to heck with them for it. Tom.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 02:19 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

It is not Cabelas fault. There are rules for hazmat shipping and that is how it is. You cannot ship primers and powder together, you cannot ship it by Air, must be ground only. If anyone else is packing them together then they are not doing it as the law requires.

Our forefathers didn't bury their guns. They buried those that tried to take them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 06:56 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Actually I stand corrected.
Powders and Primers CAN be shipped together with ONE Haz-mat fee. It is up to the vendor to decide if they will or not. Often with the big stores the items in the order MAY come from different locations and then the need for separate containers, or it might be vendor policy to ship separately.
Primers CAN be shipped by AIR Freight. Powder must be shipped by ground. Powder and primers can be shipped together for ONE haz-mat fee, but it has to be by ground because of the powder. The package cannot weigh more than 70lbs.

Our forefathers didn't bury their guns. They buried those that tried to take them.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 07:49 PM
Frequent Contributor

mfuff I am glad you caught that. But another part of my basic point is not only did they want two separate hazmat fees. Whih is not necessary. But they also were charging over $18 to ship one jug of powder?? And then over $18 more to ship 10 small boxes of primers. Those shipping charges are plain ridiculous also. It does not cost nearly that much to ship two small amounts of merchandise. Heck their shipping costs are lower than ours-they get discounts!! WE DON'T.

Cabela's probably charges shipping by dollar value instead of by weight, and size. But yet they are always sure to charge extra for over sized products. Sorry but I think that is stealing from us as consumers.

I don't mind paying the shipping on an item. But it should be the actual shipping cost. Not an additional profit center. Just an opinion. Tom.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 08:16 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I see your point and I agree with you. They should pass on the actual shipping costs to the consumer.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 09:03 AM
The Man

I'd just give the local guy a few extra bucks than pay shipping. I can get anything made within a week or so.

Venison - The other fast food
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 10:52 PM
Frequent Contributor

Usually the local guy cannot compete when you buy items in bulk from Powder Valley, the key word there is BULK, you get 2 8lb'ers and a couple singles throw in a few primers and that covers a $20 Haz fee pretty quick. I bought some WC872 from a supplier once and they actually waved the Haz fee if you got 6 jugs, WC872 is military surplus and can be bought real cheap in 8lb'ers. Here is a list of are a few "local" suppliers that I know of that are competitve in cost, Grices in Clearfield, CAC in Ebensburg and Shydas in Lebanon. My work allows me to travel throughout the state so I'm fortunate enough to frequent these places when I need to.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 01:58 PM

my local guy wants 40$ and change for fed 210Ms and 30$ and change for a pound of powder...

thats a good 10$ per item more than powder valley sells for..so anything more than 2 items, and i will save money by ordering..

i understand the small shops gotta pay the hazmat fee and such too and gotta pass that on to the buyer...but, he knows he is the only local shop around supplying any powder or primers...so he decided to stick it to the buyer..unfortunently, if i only need a pound of powder, i will bend over and buy it...

im all for supporting local shops..i really am..but, come on..an extra 10$?? id be fine for 5$ or so..10 is about ridiculous IMO
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 08:04 PM
Frequent Contributor

I feel your pain. Gander (Squander) Mtn. & Cabelas sell powder for less that the thieves. That's why I buy everything on line except Haz-mat.

"Life is to short not to shoot a Horton"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page