Beginner - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Beginner

Any advice for a novice? I'm looking to start reloading. Only for two or three rifles. I have dies for my .257 and .243. I also have a 7mm .08. I don't shoot a lot but I'm retiring soon. And I don't like begging friends to reload for me. What is good starter set up and where would you recommend buying it??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 11:10 AM
dce
Sage

Any starter kit is good RCBS,LYMAN etc.Other than dies,the only thing you should really pick up is a hand primer tool.Before you reload,buy one or two reloading manuals and read them cover to cover a couple times.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 11:19 AM
Frequent Contributor

I would pick up a kit that has a good reloading manual in it and read it. Cover to cover. That was the advice given to me when I started. Or skip the kit and get the manual. It will put in perspective what you'll need with out taking advice from others. It seems like you'll be reloading mostly rifle cartridges. So I would go with a single stage press. You can still do pistol on a single stage, but it takes a little longer. I would consider a good progressive press if you want to make alot of ammo. If I was in your shoes I would stick middle of the road and start with a RCBS supreme master reloading kit and then buy a tumbler and a case trimmer and be set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 12:51 PM
Frequent Contributor

Grices has a ton of reloading stuff
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 01:50 PM

as 257 said.
grices has the most in the area and then some..
lee lyman hornady rcbs...
the two most common on the higher end are hornady and rcbs..
i have all four plus redding..
but its ungodly how good rcbs customer service is.. hands down they are my go to company for equipment.
high end dies i go redding. lyman is most of my casting stuff.
lee i use there dies for stuff i hardly ever shoot unless i can get rcbs used very cheap then i replace them with such.
i have found dies at flea markets gotten used presses, emailed rcbs wanting to buy replacement parts they refused to sell me the replacement parts.
they demanded they would send them at no cost to me and thanked me for being a loyal customer.
a lot of companies should learn a little how to treat customers from rcbs.
i moved up from buying a few used items years ago and got the rcbs reloading kit.
grices has it for about 275 ish i seen last night in there flyer.
i would not think twice about jumping on that.
buy it once now and your grate grand kids will be still using it unless they have ray guns by then lol
tumbler i would go with the lyman liquid tumbler that uses stainless steel .
good luck
dave
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 02:59 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

I haven't looked for a bit, but I think Lyman was the only one offering a kit with a case trimmer included in it.

You'll need to trim at some point, so if you go with a kit that doesn't have a trimmer, just know that you'll need to buy one eventually.

Get a manual from any of the big names.....I'm not a fan of the Lee manual, but it's serviceable. My favorites are Hornady and Nosler, but lots of good ones out there. Do NOT use load data found from anywhere but manufacturer/company resources, especially not to start your handloading career.

You can often find reloading gear in classifieds here and on other forums, for good prices. Trick is knowing what you need and what to pay for it.

Buying a kit from a store is probably one of the pricier ways to get your gear, but you'll get it all at once and be ready to go.

Buying it used is often the best way to save money, but it takes time and patience to do it. If you do that, companies like RCBS, Lyman, Forster, and Dillon are all rock solid on their warranty and support. Buy used items from the big name companies with confidence...even if it's screwed up, they will fix it for you.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 03:29 PM

Lots of good information above. I will go against the grain a bit and say that Lee reloading tools and dies do the job. I started with a lee kit and dies and still use it and dont have any reason to get anything else. I am very happy with what it will produce. I did go with an rcbs chargemaster setup with the digital scale. IMO that was the best investment I made.

If you are reloading for bolt actions and keeping your brass specific to one gun I would highly recommend looking at lee collet neck sizing dies. Saves from needing to use case lube and do a full length resize which is a time saver.

No matter what read the manual and then read it again. I read the manual and also read the book ABC's of reloading which is a good easy to read book.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 07:16 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Lee stuff is functional, imho. But for not a lot more, you can do better.

I'm talking tools here, not dies. I've had Lee stuff and found it adequate but all of it has been replaced at this point by something else on my bench.

If it's the only option, it beats not reloading, for sure. If there are other options, I suggest those first.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 07:46 PM
The Man

you can find good stuff cheap used if your patient
tdd and nomad_archer like this.

Your spot I NEVER go back
My spot I expect the same
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdd View Post
Lee stuff is functional, imho. But for not a lot more, you can do better.

I'm talking tools here, not dies. I've had Lee stuff and found it adequate but all of it has been replaced at this point by something else on my bench.

If it's the only option, it beats not reloading, for sure. If there are other options, I suggest those first.
I haven't reached the threshold of needing to replace any of it so that factors into my opinion. To be fair when I started reloading funds where a little tight so I got what I could. I don't reload 100's or 1000's of rounds a year or I am sure I may be looking at something different. I find the lee tools to be functional and more than adequate. They just dont have extra bells and whistles.

I have to ask what does spending more on a press which is a very simple tool or a hand primer really get you? I have only used a lee press, hand priming tools so that is why I ask. I am not trying to be difficult just curious.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page