2 reloading questions - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

2 reloading questions

i have been reading up alot on reloading and watching videos from a reloading website, since my cousin and i want to start reloading my 30-06 and his 7mm-08. On one of the videos the guy said to find the overall length of the bullet so you know how to seat the bullet would be to put a dummy round into your gun and chamber the round so that the length matches perfectly with the gun, is that a safe method and is it effective.
seacond question: Do teh reloading books like the nosler and Hornady ones give loads for all diffrent manufacotrs of bullets or do they just give loads for their bullets. Any suggestions on books would be greatly appreciated. im leaning towards teh hornady or the Hodgedon reloading manuels, just because they seem like they would be more through. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 02:23 AM

Re: 2 reloading questions

the manual will give you the overall length...there are ways to play with overall length to play with accuracy..many guns like to be a hair off the lands..but, playing with that also changes pressure and you need to be careful...also, for hunting rifles, the ammo needs to fit the magazine...with my 35 whelen, i had to seat bullets shorter than specs due to magazine length...i worked up loads from there...

i have the nosler manual and would say its pretty good...beginning gives instructions for the process...

but, bullet manufacturers use only their bullets and powders that shoot best...nosler lists like 10-15 powders for each bullet weight...

powder manufacturers manuals only list their powders with various bullets...

i only shoot nosler bullets...so i got the nosler book...and double and triple check things online...most all data can be found on the bullet manufacturer and powder manufactures websites....

start off on the low end of the powder charge and work up 3 shot groups in .5 grain increments...see what shoots best in your rifle...and check the casings for signs of pressure...

id recommend getting 1 book..if y'all shoot a particular bullet id say get their book...then cross reference powder manufactures websites and such...

DO NOT trust anything written online that doesnt come from a bullet or powder manufacturer..and never start off with the max loads..start well below them to be safe and work your way up and watch casings for pressure signs...temp, brass, overall length etc etc etc etc all factor into pressure...
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 01:42 AM
Regular Visitor

I use the Hornady OAL gauge to find where the bullet hits the rifling and make the adjustments from there. I then use the Hornady bullet comparator set which will measure from the bullets ogive and not the tip. Measuring from the tip may have some variances in length.
I've found in reloading you can get as [censored] as you want.
If you don't want to get the OAL gauge you can color your bullet with a marker and find where it hits the rifling as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 01:56 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Other than using the posted COL in a reloading manual, playing around with the COL may or may not increase accuracy.

Some rifles will shoot just fine with the "normal" COL, while others will shoot better with the bullet seated closer to the lands.

What you need to do is find the maximum COL of your rifle, then do adjustments from there. Personally, I use the RCBS Precision Mic. It helps you in finding the COL of your rifle, as well as headspacing and setting up your dies.

Find the COL where the bullet is just off of the lands. Then load "X" rounds with that COL. Then load "X" with the bullet seated .10" off, then around .20" off, etc....until you get to the published COL. Head to the range, firing each batch to see which one, if any gives the best accuracy.

Steve
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 01:58 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Here is a good read on the Precision Mic.

http://www.realguns.com/archives/035.htm

Steve
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 08:11 PM
Part of the Community

i like using a Lyman manual and for seating bullets the first time,i like to keep a factory round in my die box and set my seating die accordingly,just a thought

Robert L. Reeves
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 10:39 AM
Frequent Contributor

My first question too you, what are you planning to use this ammo for.
You are just starting out, take it slow.
If you are loading for hunting ammo or 100 yard paper punching. Use the listed OAL provided in the manual for the bullet you will be using.
Starting out, get the basics down. There are several steps that go into match grade ammo. Setting the bullet just off the lands is only one.
And as said above is no guarantee you will get one hole groups.

As to the second part of your question, if just starting out, get the Lyman 49th.I rate it the best of the generic manuals. I own several manuals, but if were looking for one to start out with, this would be the one.
But then if you know that you will be shooting say Hornady bullets exclusively, then get the Hornady manual.

A side note a lot of guys think they need to load the hottest Cartridge possible.
I have found over the years this to be the furthest thing from the truth.
Most times its just the opposite. Always start close to min, charge and work up. Hot loads very hard on components and the firearm, and in most cases you will also start loosing accuracy.

Do a search of ladder or Audette method of working up a load.
Good luck with reloading and be safe.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 03:03 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornady
A side note a lot of guys think they need to load the hottest Cartridge possible.
I have found over the years this to be the furthest thing from the truth.
Most times its just the opposite. Always start close to min, charge and work up. Hot loads very hard on components and the firearm, and in most cases you will also start loosing accuracy.

Do a search of ladder or Audette method of working up a load.
Good luck with reloading and be safe.
I agree with you on this. It seems anyway, that new reloaders tend to be fascinated with speed. Particularly .223 loaders always seem to want to duplicate the military ammo. I often wonder why. It's not exactly accurate, not to my standards anyway.

I always tell them: "a fast miss is still a miss."

The ladder method is perfect in my opinion. Saves ammo, and lets you know exactly what your rifle wants. The only draw back... you really should have a 250 yard or longer range to make the results stand out. At a hundred yards, it can be pretty tough to pick out the nodes.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

thanks for all the responses my cousin and i are gonna try to start this weekend, i think to start out we will just go by the manuels COL that they have for both bullets, my uncle bought the lyman manuel and i bought the Hornady manuel, i really like it, i spent the whle afternoon reading up about all diffrent cartridges so cool. Once again thanks, ill post some results once we get out shooting.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

thansk for all the help guys, i relaoded for the first time today, my cousin couldnt load because we didnt have the correct "guide" for teh case trimmer, so i was the only one that was able to load some rounds. I loaded up a 165gr. Hornady Spire point interlock propelled by 48.1 grains of IMR-4350 with a CCI 200 primer. i cant wait to try them out, ive got a could different bullet combos i want to try before i just reload up one thing. Once again thanks for all the help!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page