Reloading thoughts and projects - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

Reloading thoughts and projects

Well since i have everybody in my family fixed up with guns i figure i will play with a new 243 i have had for 6 years! I am going to buy a bunch of 100 grain bullets of different brands and powders to.
On the side i will play with a new flintlock i bought and my in lines.The in lines i will try some other powders and bullets of different weights .
Anybody here have any plans you been wanting to get into?

WILLY P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 09:23 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

I have a CZ527 in 204 Ruger that I haven't developed any loads for yet, so that's on my list.

Plinker loads for my 41 Mag as well.....rework a load for my 35 Whelen....etc etc etc.

Always projects on the bench. Always...

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 09:44 AM
Frequent Contributor

Being a new handloader with only one year under my belt I've realized I made a few mistakes along the way already. I did not have anyone to show me the ins and outs so I learned everything I know by reading on websites, books, and forums like this. I just started working a load for my 300 wsm. In doing so I hope to apply everything I know now and make the process a little more efficient. If all goes well with this rifle I will be reworking the three I already have loads for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 09:48 AM

If it's a big game rifle DON'T do what you said...start simple, pick a single bullet, say a Barnes TSX 100 grain, one powder and proimer and work with it alone, move the bullet in or out some and see what happens, don't have too many variables, one at a time for a five shot group at 100 yards, don't drive yourself nuts over a half inch either, any load that shoots around an inch is way more than is needed to hunt big game with... Simple, simple
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 10:00 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

Amen, 6-DASHER. One variable at a time. Test it, adjust it, see what you can do with it, then move on to another.

I see so many reloaders do things like changing seat depth and powder/charge weight at the same time. When they do that, they are lost in the woods. They have no clue what is having what affect on their load's performance.

My personal approach is to seat as long as I can (as limited by either the throat or the magazine, but I go to the longest possible length I can function through the rifle from the magazine), mess with powder charge weights until I either find what I want or go to another powder to do the same thing until I find something I think is worth pursuing.

Then I do seat depth work with ONE charge weight/powder until I either get what I want or bail on it and go to something different.

One variable at a time. Just one.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 02:29 PM
Frequent Contributor

Fellas, thanks for all of the advice. I too am new to reloading but I was fortunate enough to have hooked up with a gentleman who contacted me to help. Of course he's in SC and I'm up here in PA. We spent many hours on the phone with one another, him telling me what to do over the phone as I was actually doing it. He's an old bench rest shooter and taught me about seating depth and measuring my lands right away.

I think that you fellas are right, and I've found it so much easier to choose one bullet, one powder, and one primer, make up the loads from min to just shy of max and seat at the same depth. I'd then pick the best grouping and tweak it more from there, maybe by single grains until I got what I wanted. Now just by doing that, I'm shooting sub 1/4" groups out of my rifles.

Of course, I had his recommendations as to bullets, powders, and primers, as well as his load information to use to my benefit also.

I'm just so grateful to you older, more experienced, reloaders who are willing to help out us new guys, as well as help us save money through your experience.

Chad

NRA Lifetime Member
PTA
NTA
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 08:29 AM
Frequent Contributor

Dasher and TDD are spot on, my procedure is this, all 5 shot groups. I research and go with the powder that most seem to be using with success and start with my targeted load, say it's a 300WSM, I know they like H4350 and with a 200 or 210 grain bullet it likes something close to 61 grains. I'll load 5 sets of 5, 60.4, 60.7, 61, 61.3, and 61.6, seated .010" into the lands, head to the range see whats the most accurate, for instance say is was 60.7. I'll then take 5 sets of that powder charge and play with seat depth, -.050", -.025", -.010", 0, and +.010 or some variation of that, find what works best. Then take that seat depth and go with the most accurate powder charge I had and load 3 sets of 5 at .3 plus and minus the most accurate load, in this instance the most accurate was 60.7 so do 60.4, 60.7 and 61.0. You'll quickly determine whats best.

If you don't know or cant find out what powder is the best for your application pick a bullet and seating depth combo and start burning powder, after all that is the fun part

There is a world of wealth when it comes to information, just ask for good combos and more than likely you'll get good answers, keep in mind though, there are some internet hero's that know it all and spend minimal time behind the trigger and the reloading bench. It will take some common sense on your part
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 08:33 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

QuickLoad software is not cheap.....BUT.... I'll bet it's saved me more than it costs in powder and bullets in load development. The ability to get accurate date tailored to the actual, specific rifle itself, as well as nearly any bullet/powder combo you can imagine....it's invaluable.

The hitch with QL is that it is completely and entirely overwhelming for anyone without a bit of reloading experience under their belt. Once you understand the process and are comfortable with loading data, though, it's an absolute gold mine of data.
willyp likes this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 03:09 PM
Frequent Contributor

I am curious as to why you start your load .010" into the lands. I am not doubting your process just wanting to learn.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 04:43 PM

My Projects

Gear up my Dillon 550 RLB for the following:

- 41 Magnum

- 32 H&R Magnum

I was reading some of the other posts about fiddling with loads and I realized that I'm different. I fiddle very little! I find a load that shoots OK with the bullet I want and hunt with it. I do not spend hours tinkering to try to squeeze another .3 inch out of the grouping.

What I do enjoy is testing bullets on real game and tinkering with other bullets to see differences in terminal performance. In PA of course, that takes many years as we just can't shoot enough deer! I try my darnedest to recover every bullet I can, even if I have to dig it out of the ground. Since I hunt mostly from tree stands, they always hit the ground not too far away if they go clean through. You'd be amazed how many I've recovered. I want to know if the copper & core separated or stayed together. I want to know how far they expanded and what the final weight is. Sadly, I did not get the one from this year which was the first Barnes TSX I've used on whitetail.

Just my shtick

Big LSWC's rule

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page