least temp. sensitive powder - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
The Man

least temp. sensitive powder

What would everyone say is the least temp. sensitive powder used in mid burning rates from 4350 - 4831 . i was using some reloader 22 last summer on my new 25 bobcat and was very finiky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 09:00 PM

Re: least temp. sensitive powder

The best people to ask would be the manufacturers. They do more controlled environment testing than any of us. Most of us "common folk" could only offer up observational guesses at best.

WMU 3A
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 09:11 PM
Frequent Contributor

any of the hogdon extreme series of powders.now i want some info on this 25 bobcat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
The Man

i would sooner hear from the shooters there experience
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
The Man

well here goes, im a lontime quarter bore fan for deer hunting and even took my cow elk last fall with the 25. over the years i have obtained mostly built though the following 25's. 250 ai, 25-06, 25 x 284, 257 whby and now my own wildcat the 25 bobcat. about 2 winters ago i was sitting and my old mentors house 1 day and he showed me a 270 wsm case and said imagine necking this to a 25 filling full of ball powder be like launching a missle short fat case meaning. i jumped on the band wagon of contacting dave manson for a reamer, picked up a 270 wsm for the action being a magnum boltface and feed rails for the wsm. ordered a broughton #4 contour 10 twist along with a mcmillian edge stock i had sitting around. I asked manson if i could name it he said why not he has never done one for any one else yet. so with all being said i have a short action 257 whby. i only shoot 100 grainers out of a 25 because they have done so well for me. I settled in with the 100 sierra bt traveling at close 3600 1/2 moa. I had the speer at 3800 but backed off due to pressure from day to day. what is neat about this toy is with a 26" barrel using a short action its really no longer than a factory la with 24" barrel. I used the name bobcat due to i own a landscaping service using bobcat skid loaders and excavators. I did some reseaching and seen a 25 pronghorn thought the bobcat sounds better but that guys loading data for the pronghorn was so far out in left field or his chronograph was broke you know how that goes. also the 270 wsm brass is much cheaper than the 257 whby, no when it comes to wildcatting someone else has actually done it but i feel i have my own version though. If i can figure out to post pics i post it later. Someone needs to factory chamber this cart. it is the most efficient wsm out there. i can seat my bullets out and still fit in the magazine box where this becomes an issue with a lot of wsm's.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 09:55 PM
Frequent Contributor

"Varget"

"Life is to short not to shoot a Horton"
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 10:39 PM

The .25WSM's have been custom chambered for quite a while now. I saw my first one in person back in 2008 but their were guys doing them prior to that.

WMU 3A
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
The Man

i researched pretty good and only found the pronghorn after mine was chambered. mainly i was trying to find if it was going to be efficient with out wasting a new barrel and the action purchase.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 10:31 AM
Frequent Contributor

mule deer and the boys will enlighten u. cold weather powder tests/comments
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofstater
i would sooner hear from the shooters there experience

"No State shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor."

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 10:57 AM
Frequent Contributor

after reading all that cold weather powder test i think i would go reloader 19.the problem i found with reloader is it varies alot from lot to lot.buy 8lbs and turn it loose

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page