NSSF - Get Your Fact Card - AR-15 Style Guns - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Sage

NSSF - Get Your Fact Card - AR-15 Style Guns

NEWTOWN, Connecticut-Whether you're a hunter, target shooter, own a firearm for self protection or don't own a firearm at all, the National Shooting Sports Foundation asks you to be informed about AR-15-style rifles.

These rifles are often mislabeled "assault rifles" or "assault weapons." They are neither.

Nevertheless, many hunters and shooters and the general public confuse AR-15-style rifles, which are civilian sporting rifles, with military rifles because they look similar to each other.

"Groups wanting to ban AR-15-style rifles have for years purposely spread misinformation about these firearms to aid their cause," said Steve Sanetti, president of NSSF. "We must work harder to help protect the right of hunters and sports shooters to own the firearms of their choice, including semi-automatic rifles, pistols and shotguns, for lawful purposes. Gun owners everywhere can help correct the misinformed, whether it's a friend, fellow hunter, elected official or the media. NSSF is assisting this nationwide campaign by issuing the Modern Sporting Rifle Fact Card as a resource."

Use the fact card for your own reference, pass it on to individuals or groups, or post the information on blogs and Web and social media sites.

The pocket-size fact card is available to read or download as a pdf at http://www.nssf.org/msr.

Here are the facts:

-AR-15-platform rifles are among the most popular firearms being sold. They are today's modern sporting rifle.

-The AR in "AR-15" rifle stands for Armalite rifle, after the company that developed it in the 1950s. "AR" does NOT stand for "assault rifle" or "automatic rifle."

-AR-15-style rifles are NOT "assault weapons" or "assault rifles." An assault rifle is fully automatic -- a machine gun. Automatic firearms have been severely restricted from civilian ownership since 1934.

-If someone calls an AR-15-style rifle an "assault weapon," he or she either supports banning these firearms or does not understand their function and sporting use, or both. Please correct them. "Assault weapon" is a political term created by California anti-gun legislators to ban some semi-automatic rifles there in the 1980s.

-AR-15-style rifles look like military rifles, such as the M-16, but function like other semi-automatic civilian sporting firearms, firing only one round with each pull of the trigger.

-Versions of modern sporting rifles are legal to own in all 50 states, provided the purchaser passes the mandatory FBI background check required for all retail firearm purchasers.

-Since the 19th century, civilian sporting rifles have evolved from their military predecessors. The modern sporting rifle simply follows that tradition.

-These rifles' accuracy, reliability, ruggedness and versatility serve target shooters and hunters well. They are true all-weather firearms.

-Chamberings include .22, .223 (5.56 x 45mm), 6.8 SPC, .308, .450 Bushmaster and about a dozen others. Upper receivers for pistol calibers such as 9 mm, .40, and .45 are available. There are even .410 shotgun versions.

-These rifles are used for many different types of hunting, from varmint to big game. And they're used for target shooting in the national matches.

-AR-15-style rifles are no more powerful than other hunting rifles of the same caliber and in most cases are chambered in calibers less powerful than common big-game hunting cartridges like the 30-06 Springfield and .300 Win. Mag.

-The AR-15 platform is modular. Owners like being able to affix different "uppers" (the barrel and chamber) to the "lower" (the grip, stock).

-And, they are a lot of fun to shoot!

About NSSF

The National Shooting Sports Foundation is the trade association for the firearms industry. Its mission is to promote, protect and preserve hunting and the shooting sports. Formed in 1961, NSSF has a membership of more than 4,000 manufacturers, distributors, firearms retailers, shooting ranges, sportsmen's organizations and publishers. For more information, log on to http://www.nssf.org.

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 12:50 AM
Banned

Re: NSSF - Get Your Fact Card - AR-15 Style Guns

Who cares though since they aren't legal for big game in PA?

Many of us care, because this thread is about the media and anti-gunners constantly twisting and spinning the facts to demonize a class of firearms.

Therefore, this thread will only continue to stick to the facts and not be derailed by comments not germane to <u>that</u> discussion.
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 01:24 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

not all firearm enthusiasts hunt moose. Banning the AR15 would be devastating to sporting arms. There may be a day when we CAN hunt with semi's....and when that day comes I'd rather have an AR than any other semi-auto out there.

Feral Cats are God's version of Ballistic Gelatin. - anonymous from another forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 10:54 AM
The Man

I'd love to be able to hunt with my semi.

Don't Tread On Me is what it says and I'll take that to my grave.
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 12:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayd4wg
not all firearm enthusiasts hunt moose. Banning the AR15 would be devastating to sporting arms. There may be a day when we CAN hunt with semi's....and when that day comes I'd rather have an AR than any other semi-auto out there.

I don't think they should be banned. I just think in PA it is kind of a non issue.
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 12:18 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

for now like I said...someday we may see semi's in the legal firearms list, and I'd like to be able to use an AR if the time came.

I seem to remember reading about a bunch of horsemen complaining about automobiles about a hundred years ago...

Feral Cats are God's version of Ballistic Gelatin. - anonymous from another forum
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 12:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayd4wg
for now like I said...someday we may see semi's in the legal firearms list, and I'd like to be able to use an AR if the time came.

I seem to remember reading about a bunch of horsemen complaining about automobiles about a hundred years ago...

True, but I still prefer my horse to my truck.
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 07:50 PM

Personally having enough experience with AR shooters at ranges if they get their toys taken away then that is fine by me. Most of the AR owners only take them out to see what they can blow up at the range. They do have a place in this world but in the hands of any bozo on the street is not the proper place. The weapon was designed for military and law enforcement purposes and that is where they belong. I also understand that there are various shooting competitions where they are legal to shoot also but for the average Joe to be able to head over to the local gun shop buy an AR type weapon and the go shoot the crap out of his local range is obsured. You guys can go ahead and start ripping me for my stand on AR's but I saw it frist hand while running a sportsman club for four years and another four years as a Marine and I have no respect for that weapon in the hand of the public. Leave the military keep their guns for what they were designed.

Note: I suggest some of you go back and read "Let's Tone It Down", at the top of the forum. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Demeaning someone else while expressing it, is not acceptable here. Thanks.
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 01:37 AM

I disrespected no one! Nobody was singled out and if you have a guilty conscience then that is up to you to deal with. I mearly stated my opinion from first hand experienceses. I am sorry if you guys can not accept it for what it was. It is not the weapon but the operators who give it a bad name. I do not support them and have mearly expressed my opinion! Enough said.
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 01:40 AM
Banned

I'm all for people owning as many AR's as they can. But I don't want them or any other semi-auto in the deer woods.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page