RCBS Die Broke - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

RCBS Die Broke

welp i had my first FL resizer break today for my 338 lapua. the threads that hold the expanding ball on just stripped off and the ball is still inside one of my cases had pleanty of lube on it and didnt even require much force to resize not sure why it was so weak. it broke on case resizing number 119. what kinda experience have you guys had with RCBS warranty?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 08:49 AM

Re: RCBS Die Broke

All of the die manufacturers, including RCBS, will replace most anything with little or no reason needed. Just call them and they will send it to you free in a few days.

benchrest
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

another question for some of you guys that have loaded alot of larger caliber ammunition. with my larger calibers such as 300 mag+ i can never really seem to get away with just neck sizing. i dont shoot max loads usually atleast 2 grains under. but when i neck size my larger calibers i usually end up FL them because of how hard it is to close the action.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 09:41 AM
Frequent Contributor

You probably need to bump the shoulder back. I doubt you'll be able to do that with a standard die. You'll need either a Bump Die or better yet get a bushing die.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 11:50 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have read that you should never neck size anything .30 or bigger ( should always by FL sized)- I have done it with an 06 but have trouble the second time I size- extracting problems and bolt throw problems. Are you using a FL die and and not screwing it down all the way to neck size to get it to neck size or using specific necks sizing dies?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

I'm using a neck sizing die I usually get a fl set and just a neck for all of my guns
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 02:06 AM
Frequent Contributor

The only thing a neck die does is size is the neck. Check your shoulder measurement with a headspace guage and you'll see that distance is longer than a once fired case. I bump shoulders back between a .001" and a .0015" You are in the ideal situation to set that up right now. Since your bolt is closing hard take your bump die and start screwing it into your press small amounts at a time until you bump the shoulder back about a .001" If you don't have a headspace guage just bump it back until the bolt closes easy.

There is nothing wrong with only neck sizing 30 cal and up. With any case the shoulder will eventually grow enough to cause the problems Matt is having. There is also nothing wrong with FL sizing every time. The idea behind neck sizing is to help keep the cartridge fitting into the chamber as tight as possible, this helps eliminate movement of the case and improves accuracy. If you have your own reamer cut you can have it set up to match your FL sizer die and when you run a fired case through your sizer it will resize the case within a very close tolorance of the chamber.

You can buy a bump die for $20 or so and be back in buisness or else get yourself a bushing die which will set you back about $100 with a good bushing. Even the bushing die will somewhat FL size the case but you can adjust how much of the neck you size, only size about 3/4 of the length of the neck and the unsized portion will help center and hold the case in the chamber. In my match guns I always FL size with a bushing die, in my hunting guns only partially neck size until the bolt closes hard then FL size just so I can bump the shoulder back.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 02:12 AM
Frequent Contributor

Here is what to use to bump your shoulder back with out messing up the neck,

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/cid=56...le-Dies/REDDING

RD75114
Redding Body Die, 243 Win
Mfr: REDDING
0.0(No reviews)
$26.95 (Out of Stock)
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Thanks guys ill try a shoulder bump die and see what happens
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 10:32 PM
Part of the Community

Midsouth has the body die in stock for $24.10

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page