Brass - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Brass

I have a substantial amount 22-250 brass that was either/and are fire formed or necked sized for a particular rifle. I run the brass through my resize die however, the brass does not work in my rifle. Is there a way to form it back to make it work in my rifle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 08:07 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

is your die full length or a neck size die? Do you have brass that has gone through that die and does fit your gun? You may need to screw the die down. I recently had a similar situation(mine wouldn't chamber new cases run through a full length sizing die) with a 308 so when I checked headspace the bolt would not close on the go gage meaning the chamber is too short.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

I have both a full length and a neck size die. However, I ran the brass in question through my full size die. I will do as you suggest. Let you know. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 10:17 PM
Frequent Contributor

Hopefully it's a headspace issue and your shoulder just needs bumped a little bit. Brass fired from another rifle will not always work even after it's resized.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 11:52 PM

need a little more info..
dose not work how?? it will not chamber or close the bolt... will not fire if trigger is pulled?? fired but dose not ignite??
is it a single shot or a bolt?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 12:19 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Hunt View Post
... I run the brass through my resize die however, the brass does not work in my rifle...
Does the brass work in the rifle before you run it through the die? if so the die is bad or setup wrong.

Is the brass trimmed to 1.912 or less? longer and the end will contact the barrel.

Can you chamber factory ammo? if not there is a chamber issue.

Have you built ammo with these dies before for this gun or another? indicates the dies are good.

Is the die turned all the way down to contact the shell holder (SAAMI dimensions)? if not all the way down then the shoulder is allowed farther out making it specific to one rifle but may contact in another with a shorter shoulder.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 04:13 AM

Screw your die down until it touches the top of the shell holder when the ram is the whole way to the top, that's as small as the die can make it...trim it to the correct length, should fall into your rifles chamber.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 04:54 AM

I use to believe you could full length size any case and it would chamber in any rifle ! NOT SO !
You have not said how many times the brass was fired or how many different rifles it was from ?

This sounds like the shoulder of the case has expanded and it will not go into the chamber. It has happened to me at times.
I often times will size my brass and sit there and run it thru my rifle just to make sure it all still fits the gun !
If you were loading these cases with a maximum load it may be what has happened to them !

WILLY P
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 06:03 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I had the same problem with a 30-06, All I did was take .005 thousands off the shell holder, worked fine and shot in other rifles just fine.

Good Luck, Stant
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 06:07 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Had same problem with a 30-06, All i did was grind .005 thousands off the shell holder, They are supposed to be .125 from the top to where the case sits, Mine was .128 and it was .123 when I was done, loaded ez in all of the guns we tried it in.

Good Luck, Stant
willyp likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page