.30-30 problems - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

.30-30 problems

I use Redding series A dies and the gun is a Glenfield model 30 lever action so the rounds get loaded into the tube magazine through the side of the gun. Everything goes good when I put one reloaded shell into the magazine and cycle it through the gun. The problem is when a reload is in the magazine I cannot get a second reloaded round to go in behind it. The second round goes in about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way and stops. If I put a factory loaded round into the magazine first then a reloaded round second the reloaded round goes straight in but not the other way around. A reload followed by a factory round, the factory round sticks. 2 sized shells without bullets in them go into the magazine just fine. I tried seating the bullets
differently and this didn't help.
I tried for hours last night to figure this out and can't find the problem . Has anyone ever had this problem? Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 02:28 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: .30-30 problems

If I'm reading and understand correctly I don't think you have a ammo problem, but a rifle problem barring something really weird your doing reloading.

What the problem might be is tough to diagnose long distance, but I kind of suspect a worn or damaged follower. For whatever reason the shape of reloaded round (bullet shape) cause a hang up at some point, tipping it one way or another, but that's only a guess.

It sounds like a visit to your local friendly gunsmith might be in order.

Bill
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBill
If I'm reading and understand correctly I don't think you have a ammo problem, but a rifle problem barring something really weird your doing reloading.

What the problem might be is tough to diagnose long distance, but I kind of suspect a worn or damaged follower. For whatever reason the shape of reloaded round (bullet shape) cause a hang up at some point, tipping it one way or another, but that's only a guess.

Bill
Thanks.
What's really strange to me is there isn't a problem with factory ammo, only reloads.
To eliminate or confim a bullet problem I pulled some bullets from factory rounds and put them into the resized cases and still had the same problem.
What would I tell a gunsmith? Anything other then what I explained on here? What's the follower?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 02:52 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Its the piece you push down on with the round when you are loading the magazine. Look at your cases carefully. Do you see any "bulge" about 3/4" inch up from the rim? It may be very slight. If you have a micrometer, measure a round you loaded (width, about 3/4" up the case) then measure a factory round. If there is any difference, the cases you are loading are stretched and need to be trimmed. Also, with your sizing die in place, make sure the anchoring collar is tight. They can creep a little and cause irregular results.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 03:43 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by allegheny hunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBill

Bill
Thanks.
What's really strange to me is there isn't a problem with factory ammo, only reloads.
To eliminate or confim a bullet problem I pulled some bullets from factory rounds and put them into the resized cases and still had the same problem.
What would I tell a gunsmith?
Tell him exactly what the problem is. Make up a few dummy rounds so he can see what is happening. It could be a combination of things, but whats happening at this point is only a guess at best.

Bill
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

There was a difference between the width of the reloads and the factories, a slight bulge. I trimmed the cases down in increments to .015 below what is listed in the manual, measuring the bulge all along and I can't get it any less than .004 over what a factory shell is. Is .004 still too fat? The reloads still won't load. Do I need to keep on trimming and resizing? I want to try all I can before taking the gun to a gunsmith. The only gunsmith near me is really expensive.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 08:46 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Something is up with your sizing die. That bulge is created by the die compressing too much brass downward. Check that die out really good inside with a borelight or flashlight. Any darkening, scratches, rust , etc is bad news. Have you used the die before with good results? Make sure your press is very firmly mounted to your bench, no play or wiggle anywhere. Make sure you have the correct die ( no kidding), if it was bought used it could be in the wrong box. Again, make sure the top collar on the die is tight and set( there should be a set screw in the ring) Also, where did your brass come from? If you did not fire it or buy it new, someone else could have goofed it up and sold it or given it away. A good die will almost always resize even badly worked cases, so I am betting you have a bad die. Let me know.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

The dies are new. I bought them new about 15 years ago but not use them until this weekend. The brass was all new factory ammo and fired from this gun. I tried 4 different sets of shell and all have this problem. I find it hard to believe but I'm beginning to think the problem is a faulty die also.
The wierd thing is I cleaned the inside of the dies and looked inside of them the best I could and cannot see anything out of the ordinary.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 10:43 PM

I'm thinkin full lth. die may not be set right. If you can pull a head off of factory round that goes in gun chamber, then resize that brass and put bullet on it and try??? If the shell holder is touchin die when handle is down your good i guess.. The bullets are flat nose ??? check with lth. factory and reloads.. Good Luck
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 10:55 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The die is the issue. If the gun was at fault it would not cycle factory ammo. Redding is a great company, their tolerances are often better than RCBS. Get their customer service number off their website and give them a call. It will cost you 3 bucks to send it back to them, they will send you a new one free. Trust me, the last thing they would want is a die that makes potentially dangerous ammo, they will take care of you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page