30 caliber 180 gr. round nose core lokt - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

30 caliber 180 gr. round nose core lokt

Why is it remington does'nt sell round nose core lokt's as a component. I know a lot of people would but them. It is a very popular bullet in factory loads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 12:25 PM

Re: 30 caliber 180 gr. round nose core lokt

I used to load up 180gr RN in my 300WSM. They were completely devastating on whatever they hit! I used Hornady Interlock though because they are available. Same type of construction as a core-lokt.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 12:31 PM

I've got old box of Hornady 270 round nose try to find them??? The rem.core-lokt 150's in 270 soft point are like a semi R N. IMO...later
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 05:36 PM
Banned

I've used and loaded plenty of round nosed bullets. But for other than lever actions with tubular mags and solids for dangerous game I'm not sure what advantage they have over pointed bullets of the same construction and make? Unless overall length is a problem for the weight bullet you want to use I can't see a reason to load round nose really.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 06:07 PM

I load RN for a few reasons. #1 in my 257(short action) I have to push 'pointy' bullets so far into the neck that it's almost not worth even reloading. I'm .1" + off the lands and it's a bugger to get to shoot accurately. #2 is quite simple: I don't need the ballistic advantage of anything with a pointed profile. My shots at deer are almost always well under 100 yards....most are 40 and under. I'm quite confident I can get the job done out to 200 yards with a RN anyway. #3 they expand faster and usually cause a more catastrophic impact. I like this for close range, thick stuff...I'm breaking bones and I want that deer DRT.

Not that there's anything wrong with other bullet profiles either. I just don't realize the benefits of them at the ranges I tend to hunt. Bonded bullets aren't really necessary for deer from standard calibers so I don't see the point(no pun intended) in spending the money on them.

Just my reasons.

Oh, one more....more contact in the bore due to longer section of bullet at diameter. This usually leads to greater accuracy, at least out to the 150-200 yard mark. Then it goes down hill due to ballistics of the RN profile/air/et al.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 06:22 PM

biggest exit hole i EVER seen was from my 3006 and a 180gr RN corelokt..my 2nd deer..a button buck..ran right upto us and stopped broadside..a bayonet would had no trouble..thats the honest truth...

it was a crazy...
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 06:23 PM

No doubt!

Oh, as far as reloading goes, they're cheaper too!

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I've been a handloader for years. Since I bought my 308 7600 a few years ago I have'nt been able to load anything that will shoot as well as the 180 gr. core lokt round nose factory loads.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 09:10 PM
dce
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonN
No doubt!

Oh, as far as reloading goes, they're cheaper too!
All that may be true Jason but they're just butt ugly.lol
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 09:31 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonN
I used to load up 180gr RN in my 300WSM. They were completely devastating on whatever they hit! I used Hornady Interlock though because they are available. Same type of construction as a core-lokt.
I load the exact same bullet in my .300 Savage. It is the most accurate of the 180's that I shoot and it is fantastic on deer and the one bear that I shot with it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page