Cast Bullet Accuracy? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Cast Bullet Accuracy?

2 calibers,(357 & 44) 4 different revolers I cant seem to find an accurate practice load using basic cast semi wad cutter bullets. Am I expecting too much?
Cast bullets seem to shoot very accurately from my semi's, but i cant get them to shoot well in my revolvers. The only load that shot well was H110, but I dont want to always shoot full power loads. Unique is a powder that seems to do well but not for me. Any suggestions???

NRA Patron Life Member
RMEF Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 09:23 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Cast Bullet Accuracy?

to get cast to shoot well they need to be sized to slightly larger than your bore.and plain base bullets without gas checks cannot be pushed hard.also if you are shootin these out of ruger pistols the cylinders are usually smaller than the bore.this is an easy fix with a cylinder hone.just because a 357 shoots a 358 jacketed bullet does not mean a 358 cast will shoot good or a 44 429 jacket bullet might need a 430 cast.cast bullets properly sized and lubed cast can be just as accurate
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 10:04 PM

Bullet hardness is also a factor to consider. Generally, as the load gets lighter, the bullets should get softer. When I cast for light loads, I usually blend wheel weights with pure lead. For my heavier 44 loads, I use straight wheel weights and often drop them from the mold into a bucket of water to make them even harder. Most commercial cast bullets are really hard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 10:07 PM
Frequent Contributor

Have you tried Mastercast ? I've had good luck with their bullets.

Guns are like socks you can never have enough
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 10:31 PM
Frequent Contributor

For downloads in the 44 magnum go with 2400 for your powder. It works great for downloads, and also gives good case fill. Even with down loads.

Normaly most accuracy problems concern either the lube you are using or the proper sizing of your bullets to the particular firearm you are using.

Slug your chambers and barrel on what ever you are shooting and size your bullets .001 to .002 over that size. And if you have inconsistencies in your firearm then have it fixed. For example-the above post about having Ruger cylinders honed. Tom.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page