Forming .308 Norma brass - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Forming .308 Norma brass

I hear that I can just run .338 Win mag brass through a .308 Norma resizer to make .308 Norma cases. Is it really just as simple as all that or are there other steps? Anything else I need to know or watch for? And is this easier with brass or nickle cases?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 07:41 PM

Re: Forming .308 Norma brass

When necking down, you may experience (most likely) thicker necks that will need either turned or reamed.

Shootin' Deers and Drinkin' Beers... That's How I Roll...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 07:54 PM

As stated by SpiritNugent, your necks will likely thicken. The biggest reason for turning them is because they may thicken unevenly thus affecting bullet tension.

You'll want to avoid nickel cases, especially when necking down for a different caliber. Nickel cases are a bit of a sales gimmick and not necessarily a good idea for a reloader.

WMU 3A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 08:03 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehunter
I hear that I can just run .338 Win mag brass through a .308 Norma resizer to make .308 Norma cases. Is it really just as simple as all that or are there other steps? Anything else I need to know or watch for? And is this easier with brass or nickle cases?
The 308N is a little longer to the top of the shoulder than the 338, 2.085" vs 2.040" Both the headspace/head clearance is established on the breach face to the forward edge of the belt at ~.220". In reality the shoulder is "just there".

If you want to use 338WM brass run them in the 308N FL die and form a false shoulder basically the same as this....

The one on the left is a 222Rem Mag with a false shoulder to fire form them to 204 Ruger. Just run the cartridge in the FL die to partially size the neck so when its fully chambered it has a slight resistance closing the bolt. Instead of establishing the cartridge head clearance on the belt it will be on the false shoulder. When fired it will conform to the chamber and wallah...308 Norma stuff.

And as mentioned, check the neck wall thickness. Make or have a chamber cast made so you know exactly what dimensions your dealing with.

I make 30-338 brass the same way, the 308N's cousin.

Bill
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks to everyone who responded thus far. Now how do I go about "turning" a thicker neck? What tool does it require?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Banned

And Wildbill, when fireforming do you recommend a full or partial charge? I've reloaded for years but reforming brass from one cartridge to the next is all new territory to me.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 11:37 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehunter
And Wildbill, when fireforming do you recommend a full or partial charge? I've reloaded for years but reforming brass from one cartridge to the next is all new territory to me.
I always use a 80% charge or so. When forming brass its better to go a little higher than lower.

As far a turning, before investing in tools make or have a chamber cast made. Chances are better than even if its a factory chambered barrel it won't be problem, but a cast is cheap insurance either way.
In the event you would need to go the turning route I suggest K&M tools. K&M Shooting

Bill
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page