165 gr hdy sst - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Cool 165 gr hdy sst

has anyone used hdy sst bullets on deer? i shot one with 300 rum 180 gr . in one side and out other shoulder without opening up.shot was almost 200 yd velocitey should have been around 2900 fps. was wondering about 165 gr ion .308 anyone please let me know your results or results with any sst on deer size game thanks (i don't see how slower velocity could open bullet on impact any better does this make scence ?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 01:05 PM
Frequent Contributor

I've killed deer with 165's out of a 30-06, 150's out of a .308, and 154's out of a .280. They all opened up and killed deer quickly. I'd be willing to bet the cores all separated from their jackets too. That's what SST's, and Hornady cup and cores in general, typically do. I know the .308 did. I recovered that bullet. That doesn't make them a bad bullet for deer. I think they work extremely well. I've since moved on to different types of bullets but SST's get the job done. I'm very surprised that a 180 SST from a 300 RUM didn't open up. It's not the velocity. Something else was at play for that to happen.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 01:15 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

I've only used SST's in a 257 Roberts. They were somewhat spotty. Some went through heavy bone leaving a nice hole from what was a clearly mushroomed bullet...some detonated nearly at impact with no bone involved. Seemed like the smaller diameter bullets just don't like being quite that soft.

I haven't used them in larger calibers. They SHOULD be good with more mass to them. I've heard the smaller bore Speer HotCors can be a coin toss for on game performance, too, but in my 35 Whelen they perform splendidly.

I've seen a more than a few Hornady Interlocks spit out their cores, and the SST is the same basic bullet with a boattail and poly tip, as I understand the Hornady product line. I've shot a LOT of deer with Interlocks, and they work best, I've found when muzzle velocities stay south of 3000fps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 07:29 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61 rage View Post
i shot one with 300 rum 180 gr . in one side and out other shoulder without opening up.shot was almost 200 yd velocitey should have been around 2900 fps.
Did you recover the bullet? If not how would you know it did not expand?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

sst

i know the bullet didn't expand because the hole in and out of deer looked like you stuck a pencil through it .i always use hdy bullets have been for 40 yrs shot 250 lb bear with 100 gr 243 btsp in front of chest at about 60 yd had about 20 in. penetration recovered bullet almost turned inside out still weighed 87 gr on scale have always had great results with hdy just wondering about he sst i thought it would have expanded like the interlock or even better the 300 rum was an experiment deer was one giant blodclott from shoulders to top of neck
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 10:51 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

It may have actually OVER-expanded. It's possible it mushroomed out and shed the front portion, and the shank made the hole you saw exiting.

I'd sooner expect that than no expansion. I've also used a lot of Interlocks, and I have found them very willing to spit out their cores when they expand hard. The SST in theory should be no different.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 10:58 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdd View Post
It may have actually OVER-expanded. It's possible it mushroomed out and shed the front portion, and the shank made the hole you saw exiting.

I'd sooner expect that than no expansion. I've also used a lot of Interlocks, and I have found them very willing to spit out their cores when they expand hard. The SST in theory should be no different.
This happens and because of it people think the bullet did not expand at all.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 11:08 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

Yep. Could actually have been just a piece of the bullet that exited, to be honest. Hard to really know without having the projectile/fragments to see it, and that's just not possible.

If that bullet was leaving at an MV of around 2900, a SWAG on the impact velocity is around 2600-2700? Ballpark?

No freakin' way an SST didn't expand with that kind of impact speed.

With the amount of bloodshot meat as described by the OP, there's just no way that bullet didn't expand and yet did that kind of damage.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 11:14 AM
Frequent Contributor

The 95 gr SST in .243 has worked great on the 6-8 deer I've shot with it
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Thumbs up

thanks for your thoughts guys i never even thought about over expansion very possible i couldn't belive the small exit hole i know the btsp from 3006 180 gr will leave a hole like 2 fists where it comes out didn't make sence to me why the sst didnt open up like that the speed diff between 3006 and 300rum is considerable i thought if anything the bullet would have exploded on impact quite possible it separated that is why exit hole so small thanks again for input. think ill try my 308 w/165 gr sst for doe on saturday if i happen to shoot one ill post my findings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page