#41 primers??? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Steve in PA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

#41 primers???

Can't find them anywhere. I read you shouldn't use any other because of the free floating firing pin can cause slam fire before the bolt is locked.

I have seen noticeable firing pin marks on the first round chambered and cycled out, and I'm a bit concerned about slam fire. I imagine others that can't find them are using CCI small rifle primers without problems. I even see in my Nosler book it recommends Winchester Small Rifle (WSR) primers in my 5.56 recipie and not CCI #41.

Am I the recipient of bad info? Am I just being paranoid?

I'm will be using them on 135 grain Sierra varminters in my 300 blackout pistol truck gun and 69 grain Match King in my .223 AR

Free men do not need permission to bear arms - Thomas Jefferson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 03:29 PM
The Man

I use mostly CCI 400s. I shoot a lot and have never had a round go off because of a slam fire.

The best way to prevent a slam fire is to feed the round from the mag rather than letting the bolt fly forward with a round in the chamber. If you feed from the mag the bolt has to pick up the round and thus slows down. If you let the bolt fly with the round in the chamber there is nothing slowing the bolt down and the momentum does carry the firing pin forward.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

I do feed from the mag. When it locks open, I put in a new mag and hit the mag release (Magpul bad lever) and if I remove the round without firing it, it is dimpled noticeably.
I was a bit suspect of the info because if Nosler would be sued out of existance if it published recommending the WSF and someone blew their face off. I assume the primer was improperly seated.

Free men do not need permission to bear arms - Thomas Jefferson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 05:12 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I've reloaded and shot thousands of .223 through my AR using CCI 400 primers. As long as the primer is not seated high, you won't have any issues.
Pahack likes this.

Steve
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve in pa View Post
i've reloaded and shot thousands of .223 through my ar using cci 400 primers. As long as the primer is not seated high, you won't have any issues.

^^this...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page