C.O.L. & Factory loaded ammo . - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By PA-Joe

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

C.O.L. & Factory loaded ammo .

Besides being loaded with the bullet pushed back to the cannelure and then crimped in place how can these be accurate?
All the time i see folks saying "I get one inch groups with factory ammo !" BALONEY!
I work with my rifles and loads quite a lot to get near 1 inch groups! 1 1/2 to 2 inches[at 100 yds] for the hunting rifles i load for is great for me. { I load for 5 rifles in my clan and they are not crack shots.} With antler restrictions unless its a really big buck how can you tell at 100 yards what is truly legal ? So why try to push it and get a hunting rifle to 1 inch or less. I have worked with a couple of my own rifles and just the other day lucked on to a very good bullet-powder-C.O.L. combination! It worked out to a 3 shot group like,as they call it,a clover leaf! What was amazing is i shot the same group 4 more times! So that is a little more than luck,would you not say ?
Factory load example : The same day i was at the range i had to wait for 2 older fellows shooting in 2 rifles. They were having a very bad go at it? At 25 yards they had a rifle just shooting all over the target. The guy would shot one and then look and curse! Try it again and the same thing but the bullet would hit some where else on the target. I just watched! The guy was complaining that he just bought the shells at a big named store and they cost him $ 45 a box ?????
I had to see what rifle this was! It was a 270 WSM! It was shooting very badly so i said what brand of rifle is that? It turned out to be a KIMBER! These are guaranteed to shoot very good for the cost of them.
I remember the old days when the old folks i hunted with would say " If you can hit a paper plate at 100 yards you gun is good."
I feel safe to say if you go to the range this week end 90% of the folks shooting will fut into that category ?

WILLY P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 02:17 PM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have had a few rifles shoot 1 inch groups with factory ammo. Only one rifle per one type of factory ammo, but I could do it. A Remington 700 BDL in 25-06 shot Winchester 117 grain PEPs into a 1 inch group and a Sako Finnbear 30-06 shot Remington Core-Lokts (150 and 180 grains) into 1 inch groups. No other rifle/ammo combos did this, but these combos were deadly.

I only ever shot one box of factory ammo through my 300 Weatherby as it's too expensive. But that shot pretty good. The rifle was guaranteed to shoot 1.5 inches with Weatherby factory ammo. Even had the test target in the box.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 08:07 AM
Banned

Before I started reloading we always shot factory ammo. Every deer dad has got With his 760 30-06 has been with Remington corelokt 150's. They shoot under an inch at 100. My brothers 760 30-06 wouldn't shoot them better than 3 inches. If just depends on the combination. If one factory load doesn't work, you just have to find one that does. Just like changing some of the components when reloading. My 760 .35 Rem will shoot any bullet or load well. Doesn't matter if it's 150 or 200 grain bullet from any manufacturer or reloaded. A friend of mine can't find a load that shoots as accurately as factory ammo out of his .35.

Every gun is going to be different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 08:49 AM

Sounds more like a loose scope or they are not use to shooting the Short Mags.
USAF_SP and NA_Wreckdiver like this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 05:06 PM
The Man

First, Kimber rifles don't have an accuracy guarantee. Second, if they were "all over the place' at 25 yards, it wasn't the ammo. Loose mounts, bad scope, or terrible shooter are much more likely the culprit. At 25 yards, pretty much any ammo will shoot decent. No offense, but if you're working a lot to get most of your rifles to shoot 1.5-2" at 100 yds, something is off. On the other hand, if you're just picking a load, trying it, and being content to with those group sizes, that's another story. Most any rifle of modern manufacture and factory ammo will shoot around 1-2". It didn't used to be that way, but with advancements in bullets, powder, firearms, etc. It's pretty much the norm these days.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden811 View Post
First, Kimber rifles don't have an accuracy guarantee. Second, if they were "all over the place' at 25 yards, it wasn't the ammo. Loose mounts, bad scope, or terrible shooter are much more likely the culprit. At 25 yards, pretty much any ammo will shoot decent. No offense, but if you're working a lot to get most of your rifles to shoot 1.5-2" at 100 yds, something is off. On the other hand, if you're just picking a load, trying it, and being content to with those group sizes, that's another story. Most any rifle of modern manufacture and factory ammo will shoot around 1-2". It didn't used to be that way, but with advancements in bullets, powder, firearms, etc. It's pretty much the norm these days.
I agree it certainly wasn't the ammo. At 25yards I would pretty much expect my rounds to be touching. Sounds more like a scope/mount or major problem with the rifle (or a REALLY bad shooter). I would think that Kimber would fix the rifle if it was in fact a rifle problem but I doubt it was.

Factory loads are usually loaded to SAAMI spec to ensure safety and function in a wide variety of guns

Last edited by Marcus99; 01-22-2017 at 05:48 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 04:21 AM

Factory ammo

What is your bag set up?

benchrest
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 08:02 PM

Even with new calibers I reload well usually, However, I have a 1972 Ruger M77 270 which I used factory loads of several different bands and Winchester 130 gr. would constantly shoot groups under 1" at a 100 yds. I reloaded with several different powers and bullets for several years and could get around an 1" but not 1 "until I used Win 760 Power and I can achieve 1 and below groups.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page