Do you remember when - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Do you remember when

You first stated to hand load?
I had no one to show my what or how to do it ! I got my training from books and then i found a guy who helped me out ?
The first one i ever shot i was so scared i was going to blow up my rifle and lay there dead !
But now i would not buy any factory ammo unless it is a real need?
There have been so many deer and ground hogs shot with my hand loads they can't all be recalled.
I enjoy the heck out of this hobby!

WILLY P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 04:37 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My now ex-wife got me the RCBS Rockchucker kit for Christmas 25 years ago and I've reloading ever since!!!

Steve
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 05:13 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My cousin and I started over 50 years ago at our local hunting club. We used their dies, powder and primers along with their loading manuals. Remember a member or two giving tips and we went to work loading our .30/30 ammo. If I remember correctly we used a 150 gr Centrex or something over 30 gr of 3031. Killed many deer and groundhogs with that load.

Life member NRA
Life member DAV
Life member VFW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 03:31 AM

Early 70's for myself, getting near 50 years, still enjoy rolling my own ....
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 08:15 AM
The Man

Bought a Lyman single stage press at the original Cabela's in Sidney, NE in 1976......... Jim and Dick were working the counter......... lol !!! Later that week, bought a bunch of bullets, dies, etc at Herter's in Mitchell, SD.

Started my reloading career when we got back home from that trip and have bought VERY LITTLE factory loaded, metallic centerfire ammo since.........

demokraten saugen
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 09:25 AM

1987.Right after my divorce.I bought a 357 mag and was spending $60 a weekend to shoot it.That got me into reloading.I have sold that revolver (wish I didn't) now I reload rifle only as my tastes in firearms has changed.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 04:53 PM
The Man

I started in the mid 60's. Fortunately I had a few friends with lots of experience. I started out with a Pacific C press and a Redding scale and powder measure. I still have and use the powder measure.

Powder was about $3.00 a lb. Shot was about $3.00 for a 25 lb bag. I still have a few pounds of H4831 left from a 25 lb keg I bought for about $25.00. It was sold as surplus 20mm powder and pretty common at the time.

I miss those good old days.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 05:22 PM
The Man

[QUOTE=Strut10;1840761]Bought a Lyman single stage press at the original Cabela's in Sidney, NE in 1976......... Jim and Dick were working the counter......... lol !!! QUOTE]

We were buying a lot of stuff from Herter's and a place on Long Island. I wanted a scope and my buddy told me to call these guys in Sidney, NE. They were selling Redfield scopes out of a garage for great prices. When you called you talked to one of the brothers.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 05:47 PM

been loading for about 40 years. got into it because the rifle I was shooting back then was expensive even back then. 300 H&H mag. now I reload because I enjoy it and working up loads for all my rifles and revolvers. started out with a RCBS jr press that I still use.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 05:13 AM
The Man

I began handloading over 50 yrs. ago for the .30/30 and .243. An older friend, a machinist and self taught gunsmith/handloader, was my mentor. Got my start with a C-H press ($20), a Herter beam scale, 144 RWS primers(that's how they were packaged) and Hornady bullets from another friend who had started a fledgling mail order distributorship business in his garage. Remember buying 4831 for 90 cents per lb. and bagging it from his kegs in Kraft paper bags. The distributor was a farmer and rifle builder who hunted woodchucks with a .243/06, a crudely built HB gun with some kind of homemade stock as I recall. I started shooting 75 gr HPs out of the .243 over 48 gr. of that surplus 4831. I got some 3031 for the .30/30 and Hornady 150s.
I bought the Sako .243 from a widowed neighbor whose husband had it and gave her $100 for it, money I earned from trimming Xmas trees for $1/hr.
Those were the days.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page