Beginner needs help - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Beginner needs help

So heres the thing. I've never reloaded before in my life and I want to get into it now. I don't have alot of space to make a nice bench to put a press on and all that, actually I don't have any space for that. What I am looking for is maybe a smaller press or something like that that I can maybe set up on the table or a hand held one. It definatly needs to be portable so I can put it away so my one year old doesn't get it. I also have no clue what other stuff I would need besides dies. So any and all in put would be helpful. I don't plan on reloading 400 rounds a month either so that can be factored in to. I also don't have a ton of money at this time to dump into this all at once. Thanks for any and all help. Also gonna need some books and recipes if you guys wanna part with them.

The problem is that I don't know what I don't know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 01:32 PM

Re: Beginner needs help

Stogey. I have been reloading for years and let me just say that you do not need a lot of space. I started with a Lee Loader that fits in a box that is about 8X5 by 1.5 inches tall and maps to specific calibers. Beside the Lee Loader you will need a plastic faced hammer. When I graduated to a more advanced production, I used a space that was no more than 24 inches square. I just had to develope a process and live with the reality of changing the layout of my relaoding equipment to service the operation at hand. I now relaod using a fold away work bench. It works great for me. Here is a list: a good load book (Hornady / Speer / Sierra); single stage relaoding press; powder scale; powder trickler; loading block; powder measurer; case trimmer; case neck dressing tool (case neck brush and chamfering tool). I think these things, as well as your components, are a good start. When relaoding, and up to a point, there seems to always be another gizmo to buy that helps you with the process. It's a very enjoyable hobby and lets you customize your ammunition. Very important point - make sure your components match your load book requirements. Start low and work your way up to the accuracy and performance you want. Safety first!

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 03:47 PM
Part of the Community

Just my opinion, but the manual is proably the most important aspect, as it will give u step by step instructions, plus the info needed to work up loads safly. u r manufacturing bombs, u will be setting off in front of ur face. please read, and head all cautions, and requirements, if something is unclear, ask questions, on here, or call the manufactuer, or the sierra bullets 800 line. they techs on there are extremly knowledgeable, and friendly, and will not embarass u due to lack of experience or knowledge!!! u can obtain used equipment on ebay, or gunbroker, and can purchase or trade for brass or components etc. on AmmoBrass Traders.com, as well as a multitude of other websites. Good Luck, and have fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 07:25 PM
Regular Visitor

thiers a lot of good youtube videos out thier from lee and other reloading equipment manufactures that show you hands on. this helped me out alot when i started. if you have any questions or wanna see my setup im only like 10 min from beaver i have a whole living room size room wall to wall reloading dedicated. in the summer i load over 100 rounds a week.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 09:28 AM
The Man

When I lived in a small apartment I used space at a family members house to do my loading.

Worked out well as it gave me an excuse to visit my grandparents.

If that don't work for you you can always have a single stage press on a small table. I still have my case trimmer mounted to a piece of 1x4 that I can take off my bench so it's out of the way. Same thing with the powder measurer.

All in all the only perminant loading space I have is my press.

Venison - The other fast food
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 01:38 PM

go to gander in moon they got 25% off of ther reloading presses... go get the rcbs master reloader kit ther about 350 before the 25% off you couldent get a better kit for a better price

then empty out a nice closet thats out of the way and put a pad lock on the out side to keep the little one out of... you can put a small bench inside the closet to handle your work and use some C clamps to keep the press down or but the rcbs loading plate its a plate you screw in to the desk or bench and it has many different holes in it and you screw the press, trimmer, powder meaure in as you need it...
with the closet idea you can put shelves up really easy to keep all your items at arms reach and when your done you just close the door and put the lock on it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page