Is reloading worth it for a hunter. . . - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Is reloading worth it for a hunter. . .

That is not a recreatiknal shooter? I've been paying $30 -$40 for 20 rounds of 30-06 and 308 ammo. My buddy shoots a 300 WSM that cost $47 for a box of 20. I don't shoot more than a couple boxes per year per rifle but would probably shoot more if it was less expensive. I also have a 223, AR-15 and a .30-30.

Any idea what it costs to get started reloading? Is it a money saver for a hunter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 11:58 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Is reloading worth it for a hunter. . .

I would have to think you would habe to shoot a lot until it would be come economical with the upfront cost of equipment.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 12:07 AM

Get a Lee Classic Loader for $25 and get your powder, bullets, and primers and begin reloading. It's that cheap if you let it be. I use one because you get less bullet runout with them than with conventional dies .

"A 30-30 is all you need. If you use a 30-06 you'll just hit a tree" -My Grandpa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 12:13 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I don't know what it would cost now, but I started reloading almost 26 years ago with the RCBS kit. I've been reloading dozens of calibers in both pistol and rifle over the years.

Everything I shoot with the exception on .22lr, .22 Magnum and shotgun is reloaded. But, over the years I've shot a lot. I've seen some of the costs of factory ammo.....yikes!

Steve
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 12:50 AM
Part of the Community

I shoot some odd ball calibers so I almost have to reload unless I want to spend $50-60 a box if you can find them at all. I also shoot a .308 that I don't reload for. I just buy Federal fusion off the shelf.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 12:58 AM
The Man

For a hunter who doesn't really shoot all that much, reloading is not worth it economically. There's a good bit of expenditures to get all that you need. Unless you just want a new hobby or to tailor a specific load that you can't buy, there is no reason.
As far as factory load prices go, it is what it is and it isn't going to change.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 01:38 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudu58
For a hunter who doesn't really shoot all that much, reloading is not worth it economically. There's a good bit of expenditures to get all that you need. Unless you just want a new hobby or to tailor a specific load that you can't buy, there is no reason.
As far as factory load prices go, it is what it is and it isn't going to change.
Pretty well sums it up.

Money-wise..........especially if you're in the 30-30, 308, 270, 30-06, etc crowd..........a couple boxes a year, you'll NEVER get money ahead by reloading. You may get accuracy ahead. But not money.

I have several rifles that the factory ammo costs between $60 and $150+ per box.........or it's not currently made at all. I've had my reloading setup for 35-40 years. So I can save money. But to me, it's more abut the personal satisfaction of rolling my own.

demokraten saugen
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 03:02 AM
The Man

Like anything else if your going to get in to it don't go cheap first time around. I think getting started with equipment would be around 500.00. Then for your first caliber bullets, powder, etc you will be spending more. As mentioned unless your starting a new hobby and only shooting very little it would not save you money. Its an enjoyment hobby for me and since most of my calibers are wildcats I have no choice.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 03:12 AM
Frequent Contributor

If you buy the equipment now and start reloading I believe over the years you'll at least break even. Like you said, the ammo will be cheaper so you'll probably shoot more which is good. You'll have more accurate ammo, you can customize loads, lighter recoil, different bullets, flatter shooting, etc. If you wait 10 years you'll be that much further behind and wonder why you didn't do when you first thought about it.

I can't tell you when I last bought factory ammo, more than 25 years ago for sure. I shoot more than 2000 rounds a year out of bolt action rifles, I can't imagine buying factory ammo.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 03:14 AM
Frequent Contributor

Ditto what outofstater said, don't go with anything less than good equipment, it will turn I to a very frustrating endeavor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page