Any issues with reloads for XDS 45 ACP? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Any issues with reloads for XDS 45 ACP?

I'm new to reloading. Bought a LEE 4die turret press to reload. Mostly for my 45 and 40. Started with base load of 6.6 grn power pistol for the 45 shooting a 230 gr FMJ. I copied the seating depth of the factory loads. Loaded ten and had every third one or so would not allow the action to lock. Not enough energy to work the action. Up the charge to 7.4. Gun shot better and action cycled great, however, i had a least on in every 5 round clip jam and stand up between the chamber and the bolt face. This was 15 round test. Added some crimp assuming the lip of the casing was catching and making the round stand up. third test of 15 rounds same thing. But this time i noticed that the round in the mag was getting a crease across the bullet. Like the round is two short requiring the round to move further forward before hitting the ramp into the chamber causing a steeper angle on the round.

Now my length is the same as Winchesters factory target loads which i have never had a problem. These rounds are shorter than the max length. The question is should i decrease the seating depth so that i just meet or just barely under max lenght. Or, is there some other issue happening that i need to look at. Right now the crimp die was set by using a factory round, once i felt resistance i only added about 1/2 turn for a light crimp. I have only added a 1/3 turn more to the crimp and do not want to over crimp.

Any suggestion would be great.

RIP Tuff 98-11, So many hunts, so many good times!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 03:33 PM

Re: Any issues with reloads for XDS 45 ACP?

Gotta have a correct taper crimp or you'll go crazy !!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Any issues with reloads for XDS 45 ACP?

So after a couple of adjustments and about 50 test loads i think i have the problem worked out. I was making small adjustments and then doing two test mags of 5 rounds each. Added more crimp, decreased the seating depth to just barely under the max length. and added two more grains to the load. I had two no jam, no issue mags yesterday so now its time to pump some rounds out. Then i get to do it for the 40.

RIP Tuff 98-11, So many hunts, so many good times!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page