338 Win Mag - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

338 Win Mag

I am going to start reloading for my new 338 Win Mag. I bought it b/c its suppose to be the cats meow for elk, moose, and bear. In general I like to shoot the heavy bullets, so I am thinking at least 225 gr, prefer 250 gr. I am eyeing up the Nosler Accubond.

What do you think for powder? I have some IMR 4350 on hand, but I have read that Reloder 19 is best. ( I also have some Rel 17, which I really like).

Going to shoot Fed 215 Primers, Winchester Brass,

Remington 700 with 24" Barrel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 10:48 AM

Re: 338 Win Mag

WELL, I think your choice of weapons was a fine one and your choice of cartridges is the single best for everything on that walks on North America!!! Also, your choice of 4350 is about perfect, I've found better accuracy with the H version but each rifle is different.. I choose the Barnes 200 grain x-bullet and have outstanding accuracy and they say it penetrates as good as a bullet 10% heavier but you get more velocity with the lighter slug.. I don't care for the accubonds at all and would never enter the field with anything other than a Nosler Partition or X-bullet..I know they have stood the test of time compared to all the rest!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 02:42 AM
New Arrival

I agree with 6-D I have been reloading the 338 cal. for over 15 years I use Barnes X in the 210 gr. I have killed bear and deer with this load using IMR 4831 and you will find that this cal. likes a lot of different powers. The bullet holds together great. I have recovered one from deer and two from bear and have not lost one pedal off the bullet. Barnes bullets are expensive,and you could get away with nosler also. It's that I prefer Barnes first. Reef
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Ive been trying to stay away from Barnes. Everyone I talk to says the same thing, they shoot alright but copper foul terribly.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 02:14 PM

Don't believe everyone, the original ones did copper but to be honest in a hunting rifle that fires at best 10 shots per year you'd be lucky to even notice, in a varmint rifle or comp rifle that fires hundreds yes.. The XLC's cut down on the amount significantly and the new triple shock's are even better, I would assume they switched the chemical formula somewhat because they seem alot better.. the three open spaces help out alot on the amount of bearing surface that touches the barrel.. Personally I find them not to be all that accurate, maybe an inch or two at 100 yards but your are shooting at a basketball and there's no need for one-holers in the hunting world. I also DANZAC mine which completely eliminates copper. In the world your going to be hunting in penetration is going to be the key, deep bone busting ability and I assure you the X-bulletwill do both..
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

I shoot all my guns quite a bit. 50+ rounds a year, even on my hunting rifles, so Im still not sure. I know my neighbor hates them, and he puts 1000 rounds a year down the tube of his 338 Lapua. He wont shoot them in any of his guns, and mainly shoots bergers. They only offer the bergers for the 338 in 300 gr.

I try and make my guns as accurate as possible. And with elk being sometimes hard to find, when a 400 yard shot offers itself I will take it. Thats when I need the accuracy.

Im not knocking the barnes, but they have a bad rep. And they are quite expensive for being a bullet that is not quite as accurate.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 07:26 PM
The Man

I shoot 168 gr. barnes tsx's in my 300 ultra mag. If I do my part, I get an honest 1 hole group at 100 yards. Most days it's aound .5 inches. It shoots the 180 under an inch also, but not as good as the 168's. I've never had trouble with copper fowling. Use a good copper solvent, and clean your gun regularly/decently, and you won't have any trouble.

I think I'm an alright guy, I think I'm alright
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 02:16 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt75bronco
I am going to start reloading for my new 338 Win Mag. I bought it b/c its suppose to be the cats meow for elk, moose, and bear. In general I like to shoot the heavy bullets, so I am thinking at least 225 gr, prefer 250 gr. I am eyeing up the Nosler Accubond.

What do you think for powder? I have some IMR 4350 on hand, but I have read that Reloder 19 is best. ( I also have some Rel 17, which I really like).

Going to shoot Fed 215 Primers, Winchester Brass,

Remington 700 with 24" Barrel.
With Win brass, Fed 215 primers and Nosler bullets, the Nosler manual suggests that H4831 will provide the best accuracy and highest velocity.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 08:44 PM
The Man

Your going to have to play a good site to join is longrangehunting.com forum. I have a 338 edge which is the 300 rum necked up. i shoot the 300 sierra matchking using h-1000 which is a real slow burning powder. but i have the case for the capacity and the 28" barrel burns all the powder which i am looking for. 4350 is a grat all a round powder i consider it about in the middle of burning rate. 4831 as mentioned is slower and maybe another 1 to try would be is 7828. im not familar with the 338 win case to help you there. I jumped to the 338 for a long range elk rifle from the 25 calibers. had a hard time believing that big of a bullet would work but check out lr forum it is the most popular along with the berger for hunting and these guys are good at showing pics of damage it does to an elk. remember also the law of gravity any bullet as aoon as it leaves the barrel starts to drop you than have to get in to learning tragectory to make these longer shots.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofstater
Your going to have to play a good site to join is longrangehunting.com forum. I have a 338 edge which is the 300 rum necked up. i shoot the 300 sierra matchking using h-1000 which is a real slow burning powder. but i have the case for the capacity and the 28" barrel burns all the powder which i am looking for. 4350 is a grat all a round powder i consider it about in the middle of burning rate. 4831 as mentioned is slower and maybe another 1 to try would be is 7828. im not familar with the 338 win case to help you there. I jumped to the 338 for a long range elk rifle from the 25 calibers. had a hard time believing that big of a bullet would work but check out lr forum it is the most popular along with the berger for hunting and these guys are good at showing pics of damage it does to an elk. remember also the law of gravity any bullet as aoon as it leaves the barrel starts to drop you than have to get in to learning tragectory to make these longer shots.
Good Advice. I am already a member over there, but the 338 WIN is not a top performing long range cartridge. Not a whole lot of info over there. Got some good info over there for my 300 Ultra Sendero, and it shoots those 210 bergers great. I looked into those 300 gr bergers but Im not sure if my shoulder can handle that.

I would love to build that 338 Edge. Be a great LR Elk Gun.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page