Isn't it odd, strange, interesting...... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Isn't it odd, strange, interesting......

.....how some rifles turn in their best accuracy right at the bitter edge of maximum loads and others need to be backed down a bit to lay them in ??

I have a 7-STW, a 220 Swift and a 375 Weatherby that won't print bugholes til they are running all out. But there's a 308 Win and a 25-06 that like a little breathing room. Then there ade quite a few that really don't care what you feed them they shoot about anything.......

Kinda interesting..... to me anyways.

demokraten saugen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 11:23 AM

Re: Isn't it odd, strange, interesting......

Yes ! I often wondered if it is the make up of the bullets or the way the way the steel in the barrels react to pressure?

WILLY P
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 11:44 AM
The Man

Think how bored we reloaders would be if everything was so simple.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 07:59 AM

"Maximum" loads in most manuals are conservative. Needed to protect the writers from lawsuits. The old rule of start low and work up still applies.

benchrest
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 09:33 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I use manuals and the internet (mfg sites) as a starting point for load workup. Also, use a chrono when doing so.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 11:47 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

The bitter edge may or may not be the actual "bitter edge".

When I started using QuickLoad software, which uses the actual capacity of a case fired in THAT rifle, I had a real awakening. I have a 30-06 shooting at book max with a real slow 2700fps for a 165gr Partition. I was really disappointed in that speed, although accuracy is good, and honestly, I stayed with the load because if I want more oomph to a 30-cal, I use my 300WSM or 300H&H.

Anyway....

When I ran data into QuickLoad, including fired case capacity from that rifle, I found for that rifle/chamber, I'm not at max. Not even close to max. Speeds track to pressure and point to the load being well below red line for that rifle.

The rabbit hole goes deep.

Otherwise, I've been told (and seen it bear out) that particularly magnum rounds want that hotter charge to get uniform case obturation to the chamber and produce more consistent velocities from shot to shot. I have no flippin' clue if that is the actual reason, but I've seen in bigger capacity rounds that bigger charges tend to give more consistent speeds, for sure.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 12:03 PM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

I would imagine that empty space in the case would lead to more random ignition. A compressed load would seem to be the most consistent. But, at different burning rates, a fast powder could be at max without being full anda slow powder would not be at compressed. Further muddying the waters.

I have some old manuals and one is way hotter then anything available now. I think it's a Speer manual. It was a picture of the stage coach on it.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 12:21 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoolshooter
"Maximum" loads in most manuals are conservative. Needed to protect the writers from lawsuits. The old rule of start low and work up still applies.
I have manuals from the 1960's. Some of the loads in those manuals would make the lawyers cringe. But think about this, those loads were safe in older firearms then and they are probably still safe in our more modern firearms.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 12:25 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdd

When I started using QuickLoad software, which uses the actual capacity of a case fired in THAT rifle, I had a real awakening. I have a 30-06 shooting at book max with a real slow 2700fps for a 165gr Partition. I was really disappointed in that speed, although accuracy is good, and honestly, I stayed with the load because if I want more oomph to a 30-cal, I use my 300WSM or 300H&H.

Anyway....

When I ran data into QuickLoad, including fired case capacity from that rifle, I found for that rifle/chamber, I'm not at max. Not even close to max. Speeds track to pressure and point to the load being well below red line for that rifle.
The Powley Computer which was a slide rule type device based its load recommendations on case capacity.

I have not used mine lately but it was accurate.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdd
I hear what you're saying.

But in one instance, I'm using Layne Simpson data for my 7-STW...... THAT is the bitter edge.

In another case, I'm actually using an older book max load in a .220 Swift and getting eye popping velocities. That one may or may not be bitter edge.

demokraten saugen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page