Bullet Jump - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Bullet Jump

Working up a new load for a T/C Venture with a 24" barrel. Loading 57gr. of IMR4350.Pushing a 165gr.Hornady SST. Have 5 @ .015 jump. 5 @ .010
And 5 @ .007. Wondering how much of a jump do you guys use with the 165gr. Not sure yet if the ones at .007 is going to show signs of pressure.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 01:41 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Bullet Jump

Chances are you will not see a difference in accuracy with that small of seating depth difference, I'd try .005 into the lands, .010 out, and .025 out, maybe even one .050 out. You should see a difference then. I really doubt you'll see pressure signs as long as your under max load.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnermhr
Chances are you will not see a difference in accuracy with that small of seating depth difference, I'd try .005 into the lands, .010 out, and .025 out, maybe even one .050 out. You should see a difference then. I really doubt you'll see pressure signs as long as your under max load.
With a hunting rifle, I would not try anything into the lands. Of course, you know that if you then try to extract a live round, there is a chance of having the bullet stick in the barrel, and powder all over the action.

benchrest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 09:36 AM
Frequent Contributor

Good point, but considering the neck tension from a sami spec sizing die and s no turn piece of brass I don't see .010" into the lands creating a problem. I have expieranced stuck bullets in Barrels and your right it is a heck of a mess but I haven't had any issues with a small amount of jam in a hunting rifle.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Then I would be ok at .001 off the lands. Just afraid of pressures
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 12:43 PM

Some folks jam the lands and work up until they see pressure signs.Then they back off length and increase charge weight.If your load is at minimum load for the caliber,bullet and powder,I would say you are most likely safe.You need to be careful though,ALWAYS start low and work up.Never,ever start at max,never.By the way I have no idea of your intended use but high charges shorten brass life.I am in no way responsible for reloading advice as HPA is not either.If you lived closer we could chrono your loads.Buy a chrono they range in price but could save your life.Or your face.You can hit the pressure wall before you get the speed you want,depends on the gun,powder,brass,primer and projectiles.In the end it depends on variables you have not disclosed.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 02:40 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

The above post is spot on.

People will look at all manner of pressure symptoms. Some are valid, some aren't. The ONLY one I know of that is always a good predictor of pressure is speed. The laws of physics don't apply differently from one rifle to another. If you have a given bullet from a given round in a given rifle at or above a certain speed, you have at or above a certain chamber pressure. It's just that way.

Chrono's are essential. How I went as long as I did without one amazes me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page