Do you keep records of your loads? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

Do you keep records of your loads?

I learned a long time ago to keep track of everything i do in my loading room!
The date when loaded has become important to me,because of a cold welding thing that popped up on me a few years ago.
Due to a money shortage,years ago,i could only afford one type of powder. I didn't have to keep to good of track of what i had loaded up?It didn't matter to me,then,i was doing it to save money and for hunting ammo.A 4 or 5 inch group was great? [40 years ago!]
Once i got that i could get more that one brand and type of powder i learned not to think i could remember all the particulars of a loaded box of ammo!
There was nothing more frustrating,to me,then to hit on a load combo,that is very good,and can't remember what it was!!!!! Or,one that just was very bad.
Also,now days ,i load for a lot more than one rifle.
I keep 2 record books of my loading. Why 2? I had a water valve,in my basement blow out years ago and soaked my old record book and it was ruined.So i have 2 and in different places.
I sure learned how much better it is to be able to look back and see,for sure,what you have put together and how works.

WILLY P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016, 12:31 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Do you keep records of your loads?

I keep a log on all loads and every individual cartridge container is marked with all the load info as well.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016, 01:26 PM
The Man

Yep. I have a ring binder and my own pre-printed load data sheets. When I make a load all the ingredients go on the sheet. Then when it goes to the range, I record all the velocities, the group size, and any other things of note about the load. Good, bad or indifferent, the load stays in the binder forever for reference.

demokraten saugen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 12:05 PM

Sure do.Data tags on the boxes.Computer files backed up on a hard drive and flash drive.Old school 90's type stuff.The 204 Ruger actually smacked a little at a chronoed average of 3989 FPS with 8208 XBR.Thats a reload,Hornady Superformance clocked an average of 4026 FPS.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 04:07 PM
Frequent Contributor

I cut out the 3 shot group clover leaf target with enough room to write type of powder,grains, primer, o.a.l. etc. Then i tape it to the page in the reloading manual of that specific caliber. 2-3 accurate hunting loads is enough for me for each calibers i load for.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 09:28 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have recorder every road of ammo I have reloaded since 1989. Every. Ox of ammo has a label on it as well-date, powder, etc.

Will
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 03:23 AM
New Arrival

I keep date, powder, charge, primer and bullet type and weight and bullet velocity on each box (Midway stickers) I also keep a log of how well each gun liked that load and how it preformed on deer if it makes it too the woods. If it was not accurate I write it on the box and in the book.

Take you kids hunting and you will never have to hunt for your kids.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 11:33 AM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have my best loads for each caliber written down at my bench. Also, I write down the load in the manual, if it's not exactly one of the ones they have listed. If it is, I'll highlight that load and jot down a few notes. I also write down the load on the boxes of finishes ammo.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 12:08 AM
Frequent Contributor

I keep a binder with all my reloading data and also have an excel spreadsheet with the same info. I make sure I log all my reloading right after I'm done.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 12:26 PM

I keep records on all my reloads in a binder for each caliber and gauge. I started in 1972 and have a lot of data and need to condense it into excel. I also list the power, bullet, primer, oil etc I like the Idea above to paste the group cut out on the data.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page