$72@ hundred-Barnes XXX +Shipping - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

[email protected] hundred-Barnes XXX +Shipping

Who can afford to buy these? At that price and how good can you get your gun to shoot them?
Unless these are some kind of miracle bullet,that you can load them and they just zero their self!
I looked at them on line.

WILLY P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 06:23 PM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: [email protected] hundred-Barnes XXX +Shipping

36 for a box of 50? I use them for hunting, not target shooting. So, I'll site in with them for hunting season and may shoot zero or maybe 3 at the most during hunting season. So that box could last me 5 years or so. I use the cheaper cup and core bullets for targets and practicing during the off-season.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 07:54 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

72 per 100 lets see according to my math that comes down to 72 cents each. if I have the buck or bear of a lifetime in front of me I will be glad I used the best for 72 cents! Ha! Ha! Nothing leaves my reloading press without a Barnes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Ok then,you folks. What kind of groups are you getting and how many rounds did it take to achieve this? Is it consistent?

WILLY P
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 10:07 AM
Frequent Contributor

I just can't see the value of those bullets. When it comes to thin skinned critters we hunt... the Hornady Interlock or even the Rem core lokt are fine choices. The barnes will penetrate for sure, but it seems to lose the expansion "petals" as often as not.
That said, I find it quite funny when someone posts a picture of a bullet that didn't work to their expectations, but it was recovered from the oft shoulder of a dead critter.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 10:54 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

Willy,

There's a few reasons I shoot Nosler and not Barnes.

1- I have used enough Noslers to pretty well trust them. Not that Barnes aren't trustworthy, but I haven't used them myself.

2- I can get them to shoot well. Nosler Ballistic Tips tend to be one of the most accurate hunting bullets I've run through any of my rifles.

3- I can get them cheap. How cheap, you ask? Partitions at half the cost of the Barnes you posted about here.

Taken as a whole, I find it hard not to use them.

That said, I subscribe to 7mm's line of thinking. When I have an animal in front of me, I want to have a very high degree of confidence that the bullet will do its job upon impact. I often hear or read about hunters going on trips they saved for years to take, and see them trying to find lower cost ammunition. To me, that makes absolutely no sense.

And even for hunting in our own backyard, so to speak, I don't see any reason to not use a really good bullet. I don't like "good enough" when I can get "premium" for "good enough" prices.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

tdd,i understand your reasoning,but i like to shoot and i supply 4 adults kids and my self,with ammo,so i just stick with what shoots the best.
In the last 3 decades,we have not had a deer venture off,after being hit,so we are doing fine with what i can afford.
If the kids weren't such good and pickey shots,i may have had to look for a replacement,you know what i mean?

WILLY P
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 11:30 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mm STW
72 per 100 lets see according to my math that comes down to 72 cents each. if I have the buck or bear of a lifetime in front of me I will be glad I used the best for 72 cents! Ha! Ha! Nothing leaves my reloading press without a Barnes!
Good way to put it.

I used the Barnes in my .338 Federal because I got the tightest groups with them. Are they needed for hunting in PA or ME....no but for a few extra dollars I'll spend the money.

I think the Barnes are better suited for long range rounds like the 300 mag and the 7mm mag. You can use a lighter bullet to get a higher velocity and thus a flatter trajectory but that lighter bullet will still hold together better than a comparable conventional light bullet.

The Nosler Partition is my favorite bullet but the Barnes is right up there with it.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 12:15 PM
Frequent Contributor

If you REALLY want to use the barnes but don't want the cost you can buy the sample packs from either Cabelas or Brownells.
I've killed game with Sierra, Nosler, Hornady and Berger. I'd use all but the Berger again, I was NOT impressed with how the 7MM 140VLD performed. It went where I wanted to and was successful but didn't penetrate all that well.

My choice is the same as TDD, Nosler although Hornady is a very close second their interlocks, xtps and amax are great.

As was mentioned IF it's a hunt that cost a good bit of money, choose a GOOD bullet that is designed for the game which you are pursuing.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 01:17 PM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
That said, I find it quite funny when someone posts a picture of a bullet that didn't work to their expectations, but it was recovered from the oft shoulder of a dead critter.
The critter is dead, but why couldn't the bullet penetrate and leave me an exit wound? That's poor performance in my book. Yeah, I know the critter is dead. But so is the gut-shot deer that the hunter never found.

I get 1 - 1.25 inch groups from my Barnes Triple Shocks in my 308, 30-06, 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag and 300 Wby Mag. It didn't take long to acheive that. No longer than any other bullet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page