Winchester LR Primers/new style. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Winchester LR Primers/new style.

I have 200 of them and started to put them into some once fired Winchester 06 brass today. These are the newer brass type,not chrome plated now? They went in to the pockets way to easy. I only put in 10 or so and didn't like the way they seated. To easy??? I removed them and went to my CCI-200-LR primers. These went in and seated as if it were new brass and snug fit?
Wow,guys,everything is becoming so low grade or second best,it hurts?
I got some new Remington 30-06 brass. I watch the Midway and Midsouth sites everyday and get notices when things are in stock.
I got a notice from Midway 18 months back there was some Remington brass in stock. I grab up 100 of them.
I run my new brass thru a FLS die to get the necks rounded out and then check the case lengths with a Lee case trimmer thing. 21 of the brass were short,by 20th.
I got some new Winchester brass a while ago,loaded some up,took it to the range and come home to redo it and a bunch of the necks had cracked?
Bummer!

WILLY P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 09:57 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Re: Winchester LR Primers/new style.

I had neck cracking issues with WW brass, too (300WSM). I got credit for them and used it to buy primers. Had three duds from a brick. They gave me such a run around to send them back and replace them that I just keep using them. One failed to detonate when I pulled the trigger on a buck in South Carolina a couple years ago. Luckily, he was focused on his intended girlfriend who was trying to avoid him, and he didn't notice me enough to care. I got a new round in and walloped him anyway, lol.

Had two more like it occur at the range.

Since then, not issues. I've used about half the brick. I should just set it aside and buy new ones and use that brick only for range work, I guess.

I have WW brass for my 270 and have had no issues (knock on wood), other than the pockets are getting loose faster than I think they should, as I'm not running it THAT hot. No cracked necks yet....
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

tdd, I was waiting for what usually happens to me on here?
Some body saying it was something i was doing wrong!
Try some CCI primers in that Win-270 brass?

WILLY P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 11:53 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

I have CCI's. The pockets did loosen on that 270 brass. I'll probably wind up replacing it, but they're not that bad for now. They're not close to being unuseable, just not as snug as they were when new.

I've heard a lot of reports of WW brass cracking.

Your annealing thread makes me realize I should anneal my 270 brass to make sure they don't start doing it too, lol.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 07:26 AM

Proper annealing will soften the brass and make the necks only less vulnerable to early cracks.
Primer pockets loosening is normal. As long as they don't fall out after seating, I use em.

Here are dimensions of all brands of primers:

http://www.jamescalhoon.com/primers_and_pressure.php

benchrest
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 12:35 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Um, I was referring to willyp's other thread on annealing, not saying annealing had anything to do with primer pockets.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page