Brass Preference? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Brass Preference?

Being a new reloader, I have learned a lot from reading posts here. The bullet debate has been one of the most interesting and informative ones I have read since I started reloading. The next component I need to start stocking up on is brass and I was wondering what brands you guys like or dislike. I am more concerned with the higher quality stuff than the cheap stuff as I've been using my once fired factory brass I saved since I started shooting as a kid. The cartridges I will be shopping for are 22-250, 300wsm, 280, and 7mm-08.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 03:49 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Brass Preference?

I been using winchester & remington brass for many years without issues. I read some bad reviews on these 2 factory brass cartridges, only thing i can think of there not doing something right?

I will not pay twice as much for higher end brass when i am just fine with the Winchester and Remington brass. I reload 223, 243, 6mm, 284, 308. I don't reload max loads. I stay a grain or 2 below the max.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 03:58 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

I use Nosler when I can get a deal on it.

Otherwise I use Winchester or Hornady.

The biggest difference with the higher cost brass is consistency. By this, I mean the capacity and actual weight of the case are much more consistent.

I've weighed Nosler brass vs Hornady and Winchester and the Nosler is significantly more consistent both in the weight of the empty case and in the water case capacity. Much more consistent.

Winchester is ok. It needs work to be useful. Usually have some really badly dinged cases in a given bag of WW brass, and they all have to be sized and the necks cleaned up. Hornady is similar.

The only bad issue I had with Winchester was with 300wsm brass and splitting necks.... Some on the first firing and many on the second. I have 100pcs of WW for my 270 and it's working pretty well.

My main issue for any rifle is consistency. I don't mix brands for a given rifle. Period. Whatever I have, I get enough of that brand or buy more of the same. I am adamant for my rifles about that. No mix'n'match for me.

Other than that, I will go Norma/Nosler if I catch a sale, then Hornady, then Winchester. I don't use Remington. I've never had a need to do so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 10:57 AM
Frequent Contributor

Lapua and Norma are probably the best on the market, but in most instances they are overkill for the average guy. If your using it in a varmint gun its probably worth the extra money. Nosler has a really nice product, but I use Remington in most of my hunting rifles. I'm not real fond of Winchester
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 12:05 PM
The Man

I use mostly Winchester, but a good bit of Remington as well. I am not a competition shooter of any kind and the Win and Rem does what I need it to. No complaints about either brand.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I should add, the reason I am considering buying some higher end brass is I've had necks cracking after 2 reloads on a few of my federal brass. Is this common on lower end cases to only get 3 shots out of it?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 08:38 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekora
I should add, the reason I am considering buying some higher end brass is I've had necks cracking after 2 reloads on a few of my federal brass. Is this common on lower end cases to only get 3 shots out of it?
Cracked necks are generally result of work hardened brass and need to be annealed and or re-annealed.
A few indications, if you almost rip the press of the bench pulling an expander back through, inconsistent shoulder bump and inconsistent seating depths..its past time. Its also the downfall when lubing the inside of the necks so they size easier, it masks work hardened brass.

A quick dirty way to check? Using a pliers gently press the neck out of round a little bit. If it springs back it needs annealed, if it stays out you're good to go. Some brass may need annealed when new while others might go a couple loading-firing cycles.

Bill
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 09:16 PM
The Man

Higher end brass is more expensive for a reason.

It's worth it.

I use Winchester, Remington, Starline and Hornady brass for everything........except one Weatherby chambering that offers only two choices...... Norma or Weatherby (made by Norma) brass.

At $2.50-$3.00 each, brass are pretty dear. But my initial handful of 10 casings which I used (over and over and over and over.......) to develop loads are STILL in good shape with tight primer pockets. I was NOT developing reduced loads. All were right to the ragged edge of Weatherby factory performance and one even beyond. The high quality brass just keeps going.

Another thing I noticed is that there's no need to clean and uniform the flash holes on the good stuff. You can run the cutter in there if you want. But, unlike the cheaper casings, nothing's gonna be coming out.

demokraten saugen
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 12:28 AM

These days it's beggers can't be real Choosey, some cartridges are impossible to find...other than factory loads. I haven't seen a 50 bag of rem & win in some cartridges for a long time...now .300 rum is scarce and long rangers are going crazy..if you find Lapua in your cartridge buy it, lots of it !!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 12:55 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6-DASHER
These days it's beggers can't be real Choosey, some cartridges are impossible to find...
+1

Except MOST cartridges are hard to find.

I fail to understand how Winchester and Remington........two giants......can be pumping out bulk 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP and 223 ammo by the barrel, but can't seem to make 22 LR or component brass......

Brass for a couple of the rifles I load for is going on the secondary market for $4/each !! And these aren't way out in left field casings either.

It's mind boggling.......

demokraten saugen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page